Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm okay- island is not.

Blog Entries
    My hopes and prayers are with you and all the people in the path of the weather and fires here in the west.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Glad you are currently safe.

My thoughts and prayers for those in the paths of these storms.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a friend whose wife was attending medical school in Sint Maarten. They happened to be in the States for a couple weeks, and were supposed to head back Monday. They (wisely) decided not to go. From what they heard, there is nothing for them to go back to, including the school (there may be some buildings left, but it won't be in operation). So they're down to a suitcase for each of them and their two daughters as their possessions in the world, but they have the right perspective on that...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jeeze, you're greedy, Malcolm, double dipping with your second hurricane while here in FL we haven't had our first yet.

Actually, relieved to see you're probably going to get a graze from Jose that looks like it may not be too hefty. Hope so. Stay battened down, stay safe, maybe even stay dry.

Up here, we're all battened down and waiting on tip-toe. Cuba getting hammered as I write. Catalog of horribles for FL west coast storm surge is the latest word; may not be quite as extreme on the east coast of the peninsula - I hope. We've just started getting rain in the last hour but no wind of any note yet, just a stiff breeze as each band passes through.

SWMBO has sneaked off for lunch with girl friends. They had trouble finding a place still open. Irma is not invited. After that, we'll be shut-ins for the duration, probably sometime Monday.

Finally got a report on friends in Tortola. The Island is a mess. Reports are that the facilities at Nanny Cay are completely destroyed and most of the boats are gone or stacked like firewood. Those who live aboard are all safe - go to high ground safety before the storm, but their homes and possessions are gone. Still no clear word of our friends in St. Maartin. That's even more of a mess, by all reports so far.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-10-2017 at 3:42 PM.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Jeeze, you're a greedy SOB, Malcolm, double dipping with your second hurricane while here in FL we haven't had our first yet.

Actually, relieved to see you're probably going to get a graze from Jose that looks like it may not be too hefty. Hope so. Stay battened down, stay safe, maybe even stay dry.

Up here, we're all battened down and waiting on tip-toe. Cuba getting hammered as I write. Catalog of horribles for FL west coast storm surge is the latest word; may not be quite as extreme on the east coast of the peninsula - I hope. We've just started getting rain in the last hour but no wind of any note yet, just a stiff breeze as each band passes through.

SWMBO has sneaked off for lunch with girl friends. They had trouble finding a place still open. Irma is not invited. After that, we'll be shut-ins for the duration, probably sometime Monday.

Finally got a report on friends in Tortola. The Island is a mess. Reports are that the facilities at Nanny Cay are completely destroyed and most of the boats are gone or stacked like firewood. Those who live aboard are all safe - go to high ground safety before the storm, but their homes and possessions are gone. Still no clear word of our friends in St. Maartin. That's even more of a mess, by all reports so far.
    Jim,
    I hope that you and all our friends in Florida and The Islands get through these storms with OK outcomes. Stay safe. Be careful. Keep us posted if you can.

Good luck friends!
    Fred

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear that you and your family are ok so far Malcolm.

Hope Jose isn't too bad.

Maybe Irma is far enough West now to not hit Florida as bad as they were predicting the last few days. Also seems to have weakened some over Cuba.

PHM

Malcolm, nice to hear that the old Danish craftmanship held up but it's terrible news about the state of the islands. Will there be declared Marshall law ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Glad to hear you and yours are safe Malcolm! I hope Jose has other plans than Irma.
    And at some point when life is back to normal for you I'd love to see a pic of your roof that survived the wind. It should be an example for those rebuilding!

Malcolm,

Continued prayers for you and the island as it looks like Maria is going to come even closer than Irma! Keep your head down my friend!

Mike
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

Malcolm, if you get a chance let us know how you are doing.

Larry