Thread: Laminate countertop question - time limit to use contact cement?

Laminate countertop question - time limit to use contact cement?

Hi all,

I'm laminating some countertops for the first time and had a heartbreaking SNAP when trying to lay down the last big piece of laminate on the substrate. The laminate cracked at the crook of the L-shaped piece

Now I need to order a replacement piece of plastic laminate (Abet Laminati) and it will take a week or more to arrive.

The countertop substrate has 2 layers of dried contact cement on it right now. My question is: How long can does the contact cement stay usable for - assuming I apply another layer on top to "reactivate" the adhesive? In other words, can I let the substrate sit for the next week or more, apply another layer of contact cement, and then apply the laminate as usual? Or do I have to somehow remove the existing layers of contact cement and start over?

Thanks a lot for reading. I'm going to sob a bit more and go to bed with my kitchen still missing a sink.

Though I've never left contact cement to dry for such an extraordinarily long period I shouldn't think it will be a problem. But you should call the manufacturer of the contact cement.

Instead of handling an unwieldy and fragile piece of laminate lay the laminate face down and set the substrate on top, as long as it has not been installed.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You can leave the contact on. You will need to make sure it is properly flat before re gluing however as the glue will be hard enough to be a bit lumpy. Coarse sanding works but you will go through the paper as it clogs a lot. When cutting and laying laminate in an L shape, reinforce the internal corner with multiple layers of masking tape on the top face and don't peel it off until it's laid and rolled. Cheers

When I have built tops like you describe, I do NOT cut the inside corner to a sharp square, but leave a little round in the corner, as it will not crack up the corner so easily. Lacquer thinner cuts contact cement.

I've laid an immeasurable of laminate in my time. Scrape the old glue just to make sure there are no loose chips on it. Spray on refresher coat and stick as usual. You won't have any issues. If you feel like your coat is already a little thick, you can wipe down the edge with lacquer thinner just to make sure your edge seam closes up nicely.