Thread: Need advice on getting a sharp corner using veneered plywood

Need advice on getting a sharp corner using veneered plywood

Hello all,

Acquired some birds eye maple and would like to know how to get a sharp corner using the maple side of both pieces. I prefer not to use a veneer strip to cover the edge. Do I cut both pieces using a 45° bit and biscuit the two pieces together? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks. Trying to build a plinth for a turntable.

Blog Entries
    The 45 degree and biscuit method would work you could also use a miter glue joint bit with a router or there is a special dado blade set for making boxes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Miter and fold works great. Depending on strength required you can domino, biscuit, spline or simply miter, tape, glue and fold.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Forum rules prevent me from posting a direct link but if you Google canadianwoodworking.com/tools/tilting-right you will find a great tip on safely and accurately cutting 45 degree or any other angle mitres. If you are just making a plinth for a turntable (I assume an old school record player turntable) I don't thing reinforcing the joint with splines would be necessary but it could be used for appearance. If you feel the need for reinforcing and don't want visible splines you could just use corner blocks glued inside.

I cut them on my table saw with a HATB blade and use biscuits to align the parts during glue up.

John

I'd cut the bevel on a tablesaw. I'd cheat slightly on the 45 degree angle to ensure that the boards meet at the outside tip. My table saw leaves a slightly rough surface, so I'd shoot the bevel faces with a handplane to clean up. I might cut slots for biscuits, but I'd dry assemble to double-check the biscuits before I glue up. My biscuit cutter is generally precise enough for this kind of work, but sometimes isn't. Where the slots aren't good enough, I'd fall back to blue tape.

Just as a side note: That plywood edge is going to be very delicate and prone to dent and dings more so than solid wood due to the softer plys below.