Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have plumbing in your shop?

Love to have one, but the ZBA and building inspector were going to be all over us about installing a potential "accessory dwelling unit", something our town hates. It wasn't worth the fight, so I put a frost-free hydrant right outside the door. I have a 20l carboy to supply small amounts of water for sharpening and other uses, and go to the slop sink in the basement of the house to wash paint brushes and such. So far it has worked out fine.

Living next to nuclear plant property, I have over 40,000 acres of bathroom behind my shop. Pick a spot, and no waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce wrenn View Post
    living next to nuclear plant property, i have over 40,000 acres of bathroom behind my shop. Pick a spot, and no waiting.
    roflol!!!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a utility sink in my previous shop and I used it all the time. It was great for cleaning up, for washing parts, as a water source for dampening towels, for hooking up a hose for washing the dog, for rinsing grungy stuff that I didn't want in the house. I also had a counter space to use my water stones. It was great.

My current garage/shop doesn't have a sink. Shortly after we moved in, I called a local plumber to see if it was possible to add one. He said that running water lines is never an issue, but draining the waste line is. In our case, there wasn't an affordable way to add the waste line, so I'm making do without. But boy, I miss having a sink every day I'm in the shop.

I am working in the pole barn. We installed water to the livestock pens years ago and included a hydrant on each side of the barn. On the west end, the hydrant is inside and there is a laundry sink with a french drain under it. There is an old septic tank about forty feet from the barn and I toyed with the idea of installing a "john" but that creates a problem for freezing weather. which we have about 4 months a year. If there were a toilet that does not store water in a tank or down in the trap, it might be possible, I know they were once made but I have not seen such a crapper in 60 years. (My great grandfather had one on his enclosed back porch) Otherwise, I need heat to keep the john from freezing. Concrete a floor area, stud walls, insulate, heat, etc. Then there would be the sewage enforcement inspection and permits. All the questions about the 40 year old septic tank, just not worth the hassle. Even then, our electricity sometimes goes out for two or three days in winter and I might still have freezing. If i could find the tankless crapper without the trap, I might just install it "quietly".

I do have hot water, well sort of. My water heater is an old coffee maker. It can make a quart of steaming water in under 2 minutes. Comes in handy when I am out there working in winter. Lots of hot chocolate and cup o soups. (my barn is almost a quarter mile from the house. Not a quick trip for a snack)
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 09-14-2017 at 6:54 PM.

I have a utility sink with hot/cold water but not sure where it drains. I know it doesn't go into the septic system so thinking it's tied into the drain in the garage. Only use it for washing my hands but still useful.

I'm building a new shop now (along with a separate house) and I will be installing a half bath and a utility sink in the workshop. It will tie into the septic line of the house. Well worth the money.

Red
    RED

When I had my shop built, I put in a toilet and sink. Great idea. I had contemplated also putting in a shower, but the building inspector was concerned that I'd end up using the shop for living in. So, we didn't do that. I doubt that I would have used the shower anyways.

The sink is a molded faux stone one. In retrospect I think that a stainless sink may have been better for when I'm watering down hot stuff from welding.