Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for Good Vertical, QUIET air compressor

Two stage compressors will provide a higher PSI for tank storage. Most single stage compressors cut out between 125 - 135 psi; two stage units cut out at 175 psi.

Since air compresses, there is exponentially a greater volume of air stored in a tank at 175 psi than 125 psi. Increased volume of air storage is the primary benefit of two stage compressors.

Like others I've had a California Air Tools compressor for several years, and have been very pleased with it. Unlike Harold, my experience with their customer service people was very positive and they quickly responded to my request for a new manifold (that it was my fault had broken). Even when I told them it was my fault they still replaced it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I have a horizontal air compressor that will occupy too much floor space in my new workshop, but a vertical one, in a sound insulated room, would be far better for me.

Any suggestions as to types, features, etc... that are beneficial to an air compressor, and which are the quieter ones.

I won't be using it for spraying (I use my HVLP system for that), so it's just for the occasional air tool, filling tires, cleaning the shop and cyclone, and some pneumatic nail guns. Someday I might switch over to pneumatic sanding, but not planned right now. Also, for vacuum veneer system I have a vacuum pump, so don't need it for that either.
    I have this California Air Tools model: http://www.californiaairtools.com/ul...rs/cat-10020c/

I purchased it from Amazon back in March and the first one I got had a screw rolling around in the motor assembly. I didnt even turn it on and sent it back. That was fun. Got a new one a few days later. Worked great for a few months and then had an issue where it got super loud and wouldnt fill past about 110 PSI. Emailed support and they got back to me in an hour or so with a couple of suggestions. Ended up being a loose hose that took about 20 seconds to fix. Since then it's been great. I do everything you mentioned plus use it for HVLP and it works great for all things so far and it's REALLY quiet.

So, I've had issues but nothing catastrophic. Before I ordered this one I went to HD and bought a Ridgid. Plugged it in and turned it on, super loud. Boxed it up and took it back.