Thread: TWC dust collector bag

TWC dust collector bag

Good morning!
    I am finally looking to upgrade my dust collector from my current shop vac, not very efficient I know. While searching Craigslist I found what looks to be a Shop Fox single stage for $125 about an hour and a half away. The top bag however says TWC "The Woodworkers Choice". Does anyone know specs on the TWC upper bag? Or their thoughts on the Shop Fox in general?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Blog Entries
    Most included top bags are in the 5 micron area as far as filtering. After market bags can do a lot more but, cost about what the DC your looking at cost. In the world of single stage chip collectors if it runs well I would say it is worth $125. The usual pattern we see on the forums is:
    - Buy single stage bagger
    - Add aftermarket filter since dust is getting everywhere
    - Add trash can separator since filter is clogging all the time
    - Buy a cyclone to get decent separation and filtering while maintaining good airflow

An expensive and twisted path but, walked by many in the past and sure to be walked by others yet to come ;-) I'd get the bagger to get started as opposed to trying to deal with a shop vac as a DC, or worse, nothing.

microns.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Kevin ... I agree with Glenn, you're probably in the 5-micron range with a typical cloth type bag. Lots of talk these days that 5 micron and smaller dust is really bad. Fact is, you breathe that every day you walk outside ... BUT not in the concentrations of your shop. I sense from reading many posts there is controversy regarding this, but for me the issue is real and we do need to take precautions.

So, I am also considering a dust collector upgrade. I already have a JDS single stage unit with a cloth bag and an aftermarket dust separator ahead of the JDS fan. I'm in the process of setting up my new shop (refer to my post from earlier today) and I want to do better. I'm considering either the JDS cartridge as a retrofit or perhaps exhausting directly outside (still have the separator for the big stuff) vs. recirculating the air in the shop.

If you do get a collector, you might want to consider a separator (Rockler and others sell them). Sits on a trash can and while it looks a little hokey, it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Most included top bags are in the 5 micron area as far as filtering. After market bags can do a lot more but, cost about what the DC your looking at cost. In the world of single stage chip collectors if it runs well I would say it is worth $125. The usual pattern we see on the forums is:
    - Buy single stage bagger
    - Add aftermarket filter since dust is getting everywhere
    - Add trash can separator since filter is clogging all the time
    - Buy a cyclone to get decent separation and filtering while maintaining good airflow

An expensive and twisted path but, walked by many in the past and sure to be walked by others yet to come ;-) I'd get the bagger to get started as opposed to trying to deal with a shop vac as a DC, or worse, nothing.

microns.JPG
    I appreciate the advice Glenn! This DC would definitely be a large improvement over my shop vac. For the price it would be great, I'm just trying to avoid the pattern you mentioned of spending more money down the road. With that I found a Jet Vortex Cone for $550. (Link below) Being that I don't know much about DC is that a good price or a good DC?
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/j...702d3c42000be9

thanks again!
    Kevin

Blog Entries
    I'm afraid I can't speak to the vortex, no experience. My trash can separator really put a hit on my airflow but, I imagine the fan curve and all that on the Jet take the cone into account. Jet has always seemed a little over-proud of their products price-wise although I do own Jet equipment (best deal at the time). I did find this stuff with a search here on the forum. The native search engine is not so good so I posted the results link for you.

Dust collection is generally a larger expense than folks expect. Kinda like getting your first laser engraver only to discover the environmental goodies that you should buy next -or- your first lathe only to discover the voluminous paraphernalia that is available for them ;-)

If you do not have to vent your spoil and return air into your shop, a good blower will be your best bang for the buck. If you need to collect the spoil but, can still vent outside, a unit designed for a separation function would be my choice. I have to breathe my return air. This means I need a .3 micron filter, a separation section and some decent power. My 2HP cyclone does OK but, I wish I would have spent just a bit more and gotten a 3HP.

This is not realistic for everyone. Not everyone observes cars, motor sports equipment and yard gear as shocking foreign invaders in the garage like I do . Not everyone has the space, cash or wherewithal to plumb their hobby shop with a large DC. The worst thing you can do in my opinion however, is continue to wait.

Using a 5 micron bagger while I procrastinated on my next step has me on medication twice a day for the rest of my days; don't go there. I'm not in the 'scare the pee-wad outta folks' camp but, I do try to let others benefit from my mistakes. Even if the Jet only got you through the next 3 years it would only cost you about $15 a month. Your health certainly deserves that .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-10-2017 at 9:37 AM.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Frank View Post
    Kevin ... I agree with Glenn, you're probably in the 5-micron range with a typical cloth type bag. Lots of talk these days that 5 micron and smaller dust is really bad. Fact is, you breathe that every day you walk outside ... BUT not in the concentrations of your shop. I sense from reading many posts there is controversy regarding this, but for me the issue is real and we do need to take precautions.

So, I am also considering a dust collector upgrade. I already have a JDS single stage unit with a cloth bag and an aftermarket dust separator ahead of the JDS fan. I'm in the process of setting up my new shop (refer to my post from earlier today) and I want to do better. I'm considering either the JDS cartridge as a retrofit or perhaps exhausting directly outside (still have the separator for the big stuff) vs. recirculating the air in the shop.

If you do get a collector, you might want to consider a separator (Rockler and others sell them). Sits on a trash can and while it looks a little hokey, it works well.
    Jerry,
    Thanks for your input! I agree it's probably a 5 micron cloth, not terrible and definitely better than what I have. I already wear a face mask the majority of the time but I want to reduce the overall dust in my shop.

I also found a Jet Vortex Cone DC with a 2 micron filter. A little bit more $ but I think it would be worth it in the long run. I'll have to checkout your new shop set up. Always interested in seeing other peoples shop flow.
    Do you have a air filter in your shop? If so what kind? I'm thinking about getting one next.

Kevin

I'm afraid I can't speak to the vortex, no experience. My trash can separator really put a hit on my airflow but, I imagine the fan curve and all that on the Jet take the cone into account. Jet has always seemed a little over-proud of their products price-wise although I do own Jet equipment (best deal at the time). I did find this stuff with a search here on the forum. The native search engine is not so good so I posted the results link for you.

Dust collection is generally a larger expense than folks expect. Kinda like getting your first laser engraver only to discover the environmental goodies that you should buy next -or- your first lathe only to discover the voluminous paraphernalia that is available for them ;-)

If you do not have to vent your spoil and return air into your shop, a good blower will be your best bang for the buck. If you need to collect the spoil but, can still vent outside, a unit designed for a separation function would be my choice. I have to breathe my return air. This means I need a .3 micron filter, a separation section and some decent power. My 2HP cyclone does OK but, I wish I would have spent just a bit more and gotten a 3HP.

This is not realistic for everyone. Not everyone observes cars, motor sports equipment and yard gear as shocking foreign invaders in the garage like I do . Not everyone has the space, cash or wherewithal to plumb their hobby shop with a large DC. The worst thing you can do in my opinion however, is continue to wait.

Using a 5 micron bagger while I procrastinated on my next step has me on medication twice a day for the rest of my days; don't go there. I'm not in the 'scare the pee-wad outta folks' camp but, I do try to let others benefit from my mistakes. Even if the Jet only got you through the next 3 years it would only cost you about $15 a month. Your health certainly deserves that .
    Glenn,
    Thanks for the link, always lots of information to take in.

Its definitely a large large expense and unfortunately I've put it off too long. My wife came out to my shop and said she'd sit down but there's dust everywhere. That's when I said I've done this long enough and plan on continuing so its worth the investment. Unfortunately with the weather in Ohio I don't see exhausting the air outside a viable option.
    Where are you looking to buy your new filter? It would be nice to get a filter that would benefit me in the long run.
    I appreciate the warnings about dust and unfortunately I think people don't take it seriously until it's too late.
    My thoughts now are is it worth the Jet at $550, or buy a single stage bag and immediately upgrade the filter?
    Either choice is better than my shop vac now but I would prefer to do it right and keep my health in the long run.

Blog Entries
    DC threads are usually pretty popular and I'm surprised others have not joined in. The filter I have came with my cyclone. I did buy an aftermarket filter bag for my bagger from American Fabric Filter.

I would recommend you just buy the unit with a filter at this stage. An after market filter will run you about $200 and then you need to adapt it to your system. for the time, money and effort I would buy the Jet and enjoy the new unit with a full system warranty.

Wait a minute!!!!

Is that Jet really over $700?!? You can get a 3HP double filter Grizzly for that kind of money. It would not have the Vortex feature so that may be a factor but, it would have to work really well. You may want to start a thread titled 'Jet Vortex Dust Collectors - What's Your Experience" and get some input from owners. If it really helps keep the filter clean it might be worth that to you at this stage of your journey. I would price some used Jet DC's to get an idea of any resale value for later on down the road. I'd be hard pressed to pay more than a couple hundred bucks for ANY used single stage machine but, that's me; I am not the end-all authority here . It just seems wrong to pay over half the price of a 2HP cyclone for a 1.5HP single stage unit.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-10-2017 at 12:14 PM.

– Samuel Butler

DC threads are usually pretty popular and I'm surprised others have not joined in. The filter I have came with my cyclone. I did buy an aftermarket filter bag for my bagger from American Fabric Filter.

I would recommend you just buy the unit with a filter at this stage. An after market filter will run you about $200 and then you need to adapt it to your system. for the time, money and effort I would buy the Jet and enjoy the new unit with a full system warranty.

Wait a minute!!!!

Is that Jet really over $700?!? You can get a 3HP double filter Grizzly for that kind of money. It would not have the Vortex feature so that may be a factor but, it would have to work really well. You may want to start a thread titled 'Jet Vortex Dust Collectors - What's Your Experience" and get some input from owners. If it really helps keep the filter clean it might be worth that to you at this stage of your journey. I would price some used Jet DC's to get an idea of any resale value for later on down the road. I'd be hard pressed to pay more than a couple hundred bucks for ANY used single stage machine but, that's me; I am not the end-all authority here . It just seems wrong to pay over half the price of a 2HP cyclone for a 1.5HP single stage unit.
    Dust Collection. It can be a little overwhelming haha.

I also found a Jet with the 2 micron for $550 on Craigslist but I never gave Grizzly a thought. They have a 2HP with a 1 micron filter for $560 with shipping. Choices choices. I know it's partly going to come down to what you want and how much $ you want to dish out.
    I've also considered getting the Harbor Freight and upgrading the filter to a Wynn but, Harbor Freight...

Anyway, I appreciate the advice! Time for some thinking.

Kevin

TWC used to sell at Woodworking Shows. Similar to what Peachtree does now.