Thread: Black Cherry Vase

Black Cherry Vase

Here's a little vase from a load of Black Cherry my neighbor traded me for a Poplar Bowl. I did't get a chance to Cherry Pick all the wood cuz I had a bunch of other stuff going today, so I ended up with this piece which was kinda wormy and had a crack. But really, I just wanted to see what the wood looked like and I couldn't be more pleased. I'm gonna have a ball with this stuff!!

Oh...The vase is 5.5" Tall and 3.5" Diameter. It's finished with BLO, and Semi Gloss Lacquer, then buffed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Wonderful wood John............Cherry doesn't get much better than that. Great form and finish also. Very beautiful work.........nice trade!

Hey John,

Another great piece. Your picture gave me an idea. Has anyone used a HF as a plant pot, kind of combining horticulture and wood turning? I think that plant would make the HF look magnificent with it's green foliage draped over the shapely curves...

Thanks guys!! Yeah Chris, I was in the store the other day looking for glass liners to do just what you're suggesting. Root rot might be a problem though since there'd be no drainage. With the right choice of plants, I bet it could be done though. Good suggestion!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Been busy haven't you ? Seems like if you can't do a turning a day around here you don't belong. Just kidding, I like seeing people haveing so much fun. That is another winner for sure. Great form, finish and photography.

Dang it, man! You're a regular turning machine! Super looking vase, John. That is some beautiful wood, too. Your photo abilities are top notch, as well. Good job, my friend!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Nice work again John!
    I had some cherry that had been down for almost 3 years it was nice and dark like this piece!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

John,
    Fantastic form and wood! Boy, once again you remind me why cherry is one of my favorite woods. Gotta love John's forms, especially in black cherry!

I might consider the plant thing if I made a hollow form and removed the top so that it was kind of like a closed box with a hole in the lid. Then you could put a plant in a glass insert to protect the open box/HF.

Great stuff, John.

Good work on beautiful wood.

Bruce

10. Pretty nice, John, pretty nice indeed! You are becoming as productive as a Ketron....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Good form, wood, and finish on this one. I especially like the lip.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

12. Another dandy, John! Cherry is one of my most favorite woods. Turns relatively easy and smells great! You did good on this piece.

Thanks for the picture!

John,
    Haven't seen the Poplar bowl but I bet you got the better of that deal!
    The vase looks great, the imperfections give it a lot of character...

At-a-way--John.

A nice turning will always reflect, when ones heart was put into it, as with this one.
    Looks like something out of the "Ming Dynasty" and as precious, as well.
    Just knew you had a good eye to reveal the beauty beneath the bark. Very nice work John, now get busy on the rest of that tree---

Bill.>>>>>>>>