Thread: What is the name of this joint?

What is the name of this joint?

I've used this for a few projects lately. I assume it's a variant of the Bridle joint. I first used to make a couple of beds so they assemble without tools or hardware and recently for a coffee table and end table as I have a theme going. I also used a modified version that was a bit of brain teaser for attaching legs to the apron of a kitchen table where the legs angle outwards at 5° and aprons had cheeks to lock them into the legs. I've attached photos to explain better. I'd like to know the definition of this variant so I can describe it accurately.
    Thanks,
    Roger

Don't know what it is called but there is an identical joint on Canadian Woodworking and Home Improvement forum that's also being discussed in the woodworking section, thread name Table Leg Joinery. Interesting joint.

I have no idea what thats called. When it's no longer a challenge to you try your hand at this one its much better looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Love it! Beautiful mating of top to legs. I love the puzzle of interesting joinery and marvel at the Japanese traditions. I delight in the 'elegant solution' and one of the satisfying aspects of the leg joint I described is that the apron half laps are quite fragile during assembly as the end grain key can break off if twisted but once the leg is introduced no twist is possible and the joint as a whole is immensely strong.

Thanks. I checked it out. Very similar.

Nice work! It looks like a very exacting joint.
    My joint book is in the basement at home, but I know it has joints similar to that one in it. When I get home, I'll try to find it.
    Most people would have used a faux tenon on that. It's nice to see that you did not.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Nice work! It looks like a very exacting joint.
    My joint book is in the basement at home, but I know it has joints similar to that one in it. When I get home, I'll try to find it.
    Most people would have used a faux tenon on that. It's nice to see that you did not.
    Thanks Mike,
    My first instinct was to just do a bridle joint on one side and Domino the perpendicular apron with the faux tenon out the other side. However the legs are not braced and given that they splay outwards from a fairly narrow apron and have to support a heavy top with two drop leaves it was bound to fail there. The legs just don't move this way.
    Please let me know if you come up with a definition.
    Attached Images Attached Images