Thread: Nova 1624 Tool Holder Rack

Nova 1624 Tool Holder Rack

Our turning club was donated 4 Nova 1624 lathes and we will be holding first turning class next week. This is a simple tool holder rack that I made to keep tools handy but not on the ways. Guess it will get some use and see how well it works. Board is 1x8 with plywood supports hanging at slant off opening in leg frames. No modification to lathes was required. A 2x8 might have been a better choice, but ........... time will tell. I drilled holes of different diameters to offer selection for different size gouges and #2 MT's, and cut a couple of slots for skews or large scraper. I plan to add dowel pegs to hold chucks and faceplates secure. Also shown in photo is wood ring added to metal handwheel for easier use and the locking casters on the legs to make the lathes portable to store in large closet.
    Nova 1624 Tool Rack.JPG

Good ideas Thomas. Thanks!

Fred
    (Newbie to turning)

Looks good. I did similar but yours handles more stuff. I would add a small strip along the outside edge to keep things from falling off. 1/2-3/4" proud would be plenty.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

There is a 1/2" lip on front (lower side) to help prevent objects from coming off front.. I ripped a section of 1x6 to obtain 4 pieces for the front stiffener attached to front of shelf and the rear stiffener is pieces of 1x4 ripped in half mounted under shelf, both available scraps to keep cost down for this quick version. Of course, temporary can last a long time but cost was minimal and will give plenty of room for improvement. Seems nothing out there to go by when I looked. When I installed these, I noticed that a Delta Midi stand had a plate with holes for tools and had a sheet metal front to avoid making contact with sharp tools. The front is behind the front of the ways, but a protector may need to be added.

Looks great Thomas. Have you turned on these lathes? if so, how do you like it? I'm thinking of grabbing one next week.

Looks great, but not very practical right in line with chips falling on your tools.