Thread: Emerging Vase

Emerging Vase

I'm finding I really like to turn while leaving as much of nature in a piece as I can. This presents lots of challenges, not the least of which is sanding. A lot of hand sanding went into this piece but I like the outcome. My wife, well, it's still growing on her.

I do wish I knew what kind of wood this is. Much of what I turn comes from this property, but I can't find a tree that looks like this. I think the wood was here when we moved in, almost 30 years ago.

20170905_150805.jpg20170908_171432.jpg20170908_171554.jpg20170908_171519.jpg

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I've yet to try out the indexing feature on my Grizzly G0766, and frankly I am not certain what to expect.

Definitely looks like a challenge. Bet it never got balanced. What was your maximum speed and did your lathe try to walk across the room? I like seeing the extra wood left at time to show some original shape.

It's different, and a little under turned for my likes. I like different at times, but this piece isn't turned round enough for me. For me the shape of it, makes it look like a piece a person attempted to turn round. But they couldn't keep the piece on the lathe, so they stopped turning it. How deep did you hollow it out, could you please post a picture of the interior?
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Definitely looks like a challenge. Bet it never got balanced. What was your maximum speed and did your lathe try to walk across the room? I like seeing the extra wood left at time to show some original shape.
    Unbalanced, beginning to end. That's another of the challenges presented. Hard to get a smooth cut when turning that slowly, but a sharp chisel helps. I don't think I ever got over about 515 RPM. Thanks, Thomas!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    It's different, and a little under turned for my likes. I like different at times, but this piece isn't turned round enough for me. For me the shape of it, makes it look like a piece a person attempted to turn round. But they couldn't keep the piece on the lathe, so they stopped turning it. How deep did you hollow it out, could you please post a picture of the interior?
    Len
    Ahhh, that's what makes the world go 'round, Len! Definitely did not try to turn it round, except for the obvious part that IS round. I haven't lost a piece off the lathe in, oh, probably two years. Haven't had a catch in 2017, either and I turn almost every day. I did not hollow it. I did drill a 2 1/2" hole 6 1/2" deep and widened it at the top and down about 3 1/2" in a taper. It's a vase rather that a hollow form so hollowing would just be for show, anyway. Thanks, Len!

Different and interesting. I say if you like it then do not worry about it. Also add YES I like it to!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Anderson View Post
    ...Haven't had a catch in 2017, either and I turn almost every day....
    The thing about catches is they almost always disappear as expertise with tool control increases, regardless of the wood. I can't remember my last catch while turning EXCEPT during moments of divided attention where I'm running at the mouth while turning (with student or during a demo) or in moments of just plain stupid inattention like turning to glance at the clock when the lathe is running and bump the tool into the wood - I guess that's not technically a catch but a stab! Usually when I do that it seems to hit a fragile rim so I get to add another piece to my Box-O-Shame.

I like "that's what makes the world go 'round"! I'll have to use that. Or maybe what makes the world "turn."

JKJ

I like it!

That’s taking natural edge to whole new level.

I like it a lot.