Thread: Freud Adjustable tongue & Groove Cutter #99-036

Freud Adjustable tongue & Groove Cutter #99-036

Does anyone have this bit? I am having trouble figuring out what shims to use to adjust to the sizes indicated. I have converted the decimals to MM and to have still not had luck using the chart.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Tongue & Groove Chart.jpg

Sorry it is so small I could not make it larger.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I have this cutter set and it works very well. Figuring the shims is fairly simple once you get the hang of it.
    IMG_0392.jpg
    The chart shows the shim assortment on the left side needed to make the tongue or groove size shown across the top. Note that the chart says nominal size, so you may need to alter a shim to get an exact dimension depending upon the hardness of the wood. So if you want to gut a 9/32" (7.55) millimeter groove. You would select one each of the following shim sizes: .039; .020; .006. For a 3/8 tongue or groove you want four .039 shims

The light gray colored shims are either .020" thick or .002" thick.

I hope this helps.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the response Lee. Your table is different in one column than mine. Mine shows the same metric equivalent for 17/64 and 9/32 but uses different combination of shims to achieve that size. That is what confused me.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have this cutter set and it works very well. Figuring the shims is fairly simple once you get the hang of it.
    IMG_0392.jpg
    The chart shows the shim assortment on the left side needed to make the tongue or groove size shown across the top. Note that the chart says nominal size, so you may need to alter a shim to get an exact dimension depending upon the hardness of the wood. So if you want to gut a 9/32" (7.55) millimeter groove. You would select one each of the following shim sizes: .039; .020; .006. For a 3/8 tongue or groove you want four .039 shims

The light gray colored shims are either .020" thick or .002" thick.

I hope this helps.
    If only it were this simple for their adjustable rail and stile sets. Freud doesn't mark the included shims, doesn't provide a listing of them, doesn't provide a comparable chart for setting groove sizes.
    Last edited by Jim Morgan; 09-11-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    If only it were this simple for their adjustable rail and stile sets. Freud doesn't mark the included shims, doesn't provide a listing of them, doesn't provide a comparable size for setting groove sizes.
    My shims aren't marked either but some are blued dark and some are not blued at all. You can easily see the difference between a .039 shim, an .008 and a .004 shim (blued dark). It takes a close look to tell a .008 from a .004 (not blued), but you can tell easily with your calipers. It is also pretty easy to tell a .020 shim from a .004 shim by eye.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Thanks for the response Lee. Your table is different in one column than mine. Mine shows the same metric equivalent for 17/64 and 9/32 but uses different combination of shims to achieve that size. That is what confused me.
    Feel free to copy the photo and print it for your shop. I enlarged the chart that came with my set so it was easier to read using a copy machine with enlargement capability..
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-10-2017 at 8:52 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, my table also does not have the note at the bottom that explains the reason for the two colors. I guess I got the new and improved instructions.
    George

I have this set and really like it, use it often. I only wish the set could be adjusted below 7/32" since some times I end up with 5mm plywood for panels.