Thread: A couple "Superhero" bowls...

A couple "Superhero" bowls...

After I finished these I thought they looked like they might belong to some superhero somewhere...
    I know they aren't everyone's taste, still, C&C welcomed.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Harold

I like the red one. Don't really care for the blue one. I think the shape is much better on the red one. The red seem to have a sense of flow where you follow the curve. The blue one no flow to me.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I like them both and can validate that super hero thing ,having attended a party at The Fortress of Solitude.

You had to know this was coming. If these are for super heros they must be super bowls.
    Beahahaha.

both are very nice - any hints on how you made them?

I prefer the shape of the red one, but the blue is the one that captures my attention.

Mike - the blue one was simple... after making a rough bowl with straight sides, just index the holes on the lathe, take it over to the drill press and drill the holes with a forstner bit down the rim of the bowl and fill it with whatever resin you like. You'll have little columns of resin in the rim... Then turn away into whatever shape you like.

the red one was a lot more difficult.... rough cut the bowl, bandsaw the top of the bowl off then build a complicated form around the pieces and fill it with resin. Because the cut was curved, it took a lot of planning to make sure the resin got to the bottom of the valleys and didn't leave voids... that would have been bad. The other challenge was keeping the top half aligned with the bottom so the grain continued and keeping an even depth between the pieces for the band of resin... I really didn't want it to tilt.... my fingers would fall off if I tried to type the entire process but I hope this gives you a good idea of how I did it. Feel free to ask for any specific questions. I make my forms with aluminum tape, modeling clay and hot glue.

very cool! Thanks for the explanation

Very nice bowls Harold. I like the idea of incorperating resin into wood. Thanks for sharing.