Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music in shop

Music in shop

I've listened to pandora, amazon, and google. I don't have a paid subscription to any these services. I'm tired of the commercials and it cutting off after an hour or two. Any service that I can choose a 'station' and go. I am willing to pay...

I subscribe to Pandora Prime, have for years. No commercials. It does drop out ever once in awhile but much better than it used to be.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use spotify.

Blog Entries
    Pandora since . . . forever. Early on I had one of the appliances that partnered with them. This gave me a small remote that allowed me to thumbs-up or down songs for a given station. After a short period of this I find that I rarely get a song that I don't like and I have gotten introduced to a number of artists I would have missed. I also have it on at work so I continue the tuning process throughout the day in some loose fashion.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have Amazon Prime, so I just stream from that. I use an old cell phone for the wifi connection and a Bluetooth speaker.

Like Mark, I use Amazon Prime. Good reasons for that. The prime membership costs about 100 per year, BUT, you get good deals, points, free shipping. We buy enough on line to easily pay for the membership fee. Since getting going on this, our stereo system went out the door. We have bought several good bluetooth speakers for various rooms in the house and in the shop. In addition, we have "cut the cord" on Directv and now use Amazon Prime to stream. We saved about $100 per month just cutting the cord to the dish, so when all is said and done we are way, way, way ahead.

This is not everyone though. We are not huge sport fans, nor are we audiophiles.

Oh, one thing, we added a soundbar to our TV and that has replaced the stereo since it is bluetooth. One of my tablets is 128 Gb and I have a ton of music on it, about 22K tunes.

SiriusXM has home units. I've used mine for 10 years or so... works great. Mine is tiny and I set it up with an extra pair of computer speakers I had lying around. Since I use it in the car all the time, it was a no-brainer to add it to the shop for a $1 a month or whatever it is...

Pandora and Amazon Prime.

IMO Spotify is by far the best option. Get a Family Plan for Premium for $14.99 a month and that allows you to have five total members. Hit up your family and friends for $40-50 a year and add them to your Family Plan. Theyll jump on it because otherwise a Premium plan is $9.99/month on its own. Sell four slots for $50/year and you are now making money to have a Spotify Premium account.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

When I'm not streaming my collection from my server I use this other high tech thingy, I think it's called a radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Wright View Post
    When I'm not streaming my collection from my server I use this other high tech thingy, I think it's called a radio
    Dude, that is soooo old school.

A Sonos Connect, than about a million "internet radio" stations available through TuneIn, all for free. I've tried Pandora, Spotify, and Amazon Prime but they seem to provide very short playlists for the kind of music I like, so become very repetitive very quickly. GDradio.net is great for deadheads, with high quality taped full shows from the last 40 years, there are bluegrass stations that don't repeat music for days at a time, and specialty stations for almost everything else I like, like rockabilly, old time string band music, and classical. WGBH streams past shows of "The Jazz Decades", which makes a nice change of pace. I imagine there must also be stations for pop, rock and modern country, but I've never looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    Dude, that is soooo old school.
    My old school is a huge collection of CDs in the shop. Let's not talk about the LPs stored in the house...

I listen with Bose.

JKJ

I have dish network they ran a line from the house to the shop gave me a little extra I buried it in PVC. I get all ther music channels no commercials I can also listen to a baseball game or football game I try not to spend the time to watch it's five dollars a month extra on my bill
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I listen to WXPN.ORG....non-commercial, very eclectic and avid promotors of new music and musicians.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...