Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New LV Combo Plane

Over at the jock-strap site, there's a Blog by a chap called Mosquito and then there's a separate Review by a chap called galooticus.

Just so that the chaos calms down to a normal panic.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    Jim, no offence meant. I learned to ride a bike fine and decide that multi planes are not something I much care for, bit like a bike with oval wheels......
    Graham, no offense was taken.

There are many things in the wide world of woodworking on which participants will not view in the same light. Though my accumulation of wooden molding planes is growing, it is doubtful it will grow to the point of being able to retire my use of multi-planes.

Some will look at a multi-plane and see nothing but frustration or a "boat anchor." Others will see a tool with capabilities to be brought forth in their hands to create a symphony of shapes and decorative detail.

It will never be as easy to cut an ogee with a multi-plane as it is to do with a well made molding plane. The multi-plane will be able to make various sizes of an ogee profile to the dedicated plane's single size. If done simply with hollows and rounds it still takes many different planes for the different size profiles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good to heat, Jim. Difficult to know how things come over sometimes.

When I first started using a 45 I found it to be intimidating. After using it for a while that went away. I used it a lot for rabbets, beads and dados. I have a 78 but use the 45 more. A while back I purchased an LV Jack rabbet that I really like for rabbet work. Sharp irons and good work practices solve most of the issues with a 45. It does not work as well as a skew rabbet as I can tell with what little experience I've had with them. I don't own a skew so I don't worry about it. Like all straight rabbet planes you will get some spelching without good work practices. The new LV plane will most likely do more and set up easier. I would like to own one and may do so if the cards fall correctly. That doesn't mean I would ditch the 45, after all we are old friends now.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    When I first started using a 45 I found it to be intimidating. After using it for a while that went away. I used it a lot for rabbets, beads and dados. I have a 78 but use the 45 more. A while back I purchased an LV Jack rabbet that I really like for rabbet work. Sharp irons and good work practices solve most of the issues with a 45. It does not work as well as a skew rabbet as I can tell with what little experience I've had with them. I don't own a skew so I don't worry about it. Like all straight rabbet planes you will get some spelching without good work practices. The new LV plane will most likely do more and set up easier. I would like to own one and may do so if the cards fall correctly. That doesn't mean I would ditch the 45, after all we are old friends now.
    Jim
    The skew rabbets and the somewhat similar skew block are very very good at what they do. I wouldn't want to give mine up. The #46 (basically a skewed combo plane) can probably give them a run for their money though.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-14-2017 at 8:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The skew rabbets and the somewhat similar skew block are very very good at what they do. I wouldn't want to give mine up. The #46 (basically a skewed combo plane) can probably give them a run for their money though.
    Doesnt have enough knobs on it.
    Jim

There's an informative write-up on the Veritas Combination Plane in their latest newsletter.

The article explains the rationale behind the design and the blade interchangeability with Stanley 45s. Bottom line, if a nine year old girl can use it without instruction then so can some of us.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Nice edit Patrick

Derek,

While you can certainly comment on it, my question is will you be writing up an extensive review / how-to-use it? I certainly would appreciate such an undertaking on your part.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    There's an informative write-up on the Veritas Combination Plane in their latest newsletter.

The article explains the rationale behind the design and the blade interchangeability with Stanley 45s. Bottom line, if a nine year old girl can use it without instruction then so can some of us.
    Just read the newsletter.

They should have taken a photo of the girl in action, obtained her parents' permission and made her the poster girl of the new plane on social media and their promotion material!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Derek,

While you can certainly comment on it, my question is will you be writing up an extensive review / how-to-use it? I certainly would appreciate such an undertaking on your part.
    Hi John

I do plan a write up, or more of a walk-through with set-up and user tips. Just a little short of time at the moment. Hopefully in a month or two.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Slightly off topic but I'm selling a Record 045 multi plane on behalf of someone else. I'm taking the opportunity to try it out before moving it on. The first set up I used was the sash profile cutter. I could set it and stick a sash profile. However it was a fiddle and the process made me realise that it would be much easier to use a moulding plane and sash fillister. I would go as far as to say I'd rather buy a shaper to stick larger mouldings than work with a multi plane. I look forward to trying the other cutters, they are very similar to the Veritas offering, and see how they work out. At this moment my opinion is multi planes aren't much fun. Not sure I'll ever use the Veritas, I'm sure it's as good as a multi plane could be, but maybe you can't polish a turd. Steampunk boat anchor perhaps? Look forward to people who have purchased the Veritas sharing their experiences.
    Graham; have a look at the higher bed angles traditionally used on wooden rebate and moulding planes and ask yourself why Veritas chose to repeat Stanley's mistake of bedding their combo plane at 45 degrees. There's valid reasons why Basswood is the chosen wood species to demonstrate this planes versatility at tool shows in the USA and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Graham; have a look at the higher bed angles traditionally used on wooden rebate and moulding planes and ask yourself why Veritas chose to repeat Stanley's mistake of bedding their combo plane at 45 degrees. There's valid reasons why Basswood is the chosen wood species to demonstrate this planes versatility at tool shows in the USA and Canada.
    One of their design objectives was to be compatible with Stanley 45/55 irons. If they'd messed (too much) with the bed angle they would have compromised profile accuracy.

With that said my #55 has a 50 degree bed, so even Stanley apparently felt that the benefit of a slightly increased bed angle was worth the accuracy tradeoff. I would prefer that Veritas had done the same.

14. If one already has the veritas skew rebate planes, small plow with wide blade kit and dedicated dado planes plus shoulder planes, do you think one would be better off buying both dedicated tongue and groove planes from LN at less cost than this combo? Or is there some other benefit to this plane that one would miss or would make it a better choice over the no.48 and 49?
    Cheers Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    If one already has the veritas skew rebate planes, small plow with wide blade kit and dedicated dado planes plus shoulder planes, do you think one would be better off buying both dedicated tongue and groove planes from LN at less cost than this combo? Or is there some other benefit to this plane that one would miss or would make it a better choice over the no.48 and 49?
    Cheers Dom
    Doesn't the small plow with the T&G cutters already do what the LN T&G planes do?

I am considering the new Combo Plane because it can do fluting and reeding.

Simon