Thread: How to add a drawer to a coffee table?

How to add a drawer to a coffee table?

I am building my first coffee table for some friends. Since it is for friends at college and going in a basement it will probably only be seen when they have the occasional party and people will be drinking so they won't see all my awful mistakes. So I figured this is the perfect opportunity to try some new things I haven't tried before for fear of mistakes. I want to add a drawer to the table so I can practice making dovetails. But I don't know how to attach one. I watched a video on youtube a few weeks ago of how a guy put a drawer on his dining room table. I don't remember exactly how he did it. But I believe he basically made a box and then 2 L shaped rails I guess for the drawer to slide on. It looked liked |_ _| then the box would fit in between those then slide on the horizontal parts. Thats how I was going to attach the drawer at first but then I realized I have I think people call them stretchers in the way. I don't want to cut a section out in the middle because i feel like that would comprise the strength. The horizontal piece (stretchers if that is the correct term) under the table top is supposed to be flush with the table top and the front of the rails. If any one has any Ideas of how to attach a drawer I would really appreciate the advice.
    IMG_2931.jpg

Hi Adam - Looks like you have used some pretty beefy lumber for this one. That "stretcher" or top apron rail looks to be thicker than 3/4". Most often that would have been built in such a way to allow you to cut a section out of the middle for the drawer to pass through. The face of the drawer would be the cut out section of the apron. The L shaped rails for the drawer to slide on would be behind the apron.

In this case you might have to settle for just adding a shelf between the legs, 4" or so off the bottom and practice your dovetail cuts on another project.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

The top stretcher is about 7/8" thick and 3" wide. The table top is about 1 5/8" thick. Are you saying the stratcher should have been wider to allow for a cut out?
    Last edited by Adam Herd; 09-11-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herd View Post
    The top stretcher is about 7/8" thick and 3" wide. The table top is about 1 5/8" thick. Are you saying the stratcher should have been wider to allow for a cut out?
    At 1-5/8" thick, I would think your top provides plenty of beam strength (for when the party-goers decide to dance on it). The stretcher gives you racking resistance, and assuming you don't cut out too much for your drawer front/opening, you should be fine. I won't tell you how much is too much, but just use your best judgement and it'll work.

I would also think a 2" drawer depth would be plenty for a TV guide and a pocket full of remotes...?

If you think the stretcher is wide enough then I think for now I'll stick with adding a drawer. I was thinking I could even put the drawer under the stretcher and just make the L shaped rails longer and have to top of the drawer up against the bottom of the stretcher. I made the table kinda beefy just in case it gets a little banged around, but it should be fine my friends aren't very rowdy.

You could probably just cut a section of the rail out and use that as your drawer front. This table won't give way due to a missing 2' section of rail. Just make certain that the rail ends are still attached to the table top. Alternatively leave 3/4" or so at the top of the rail so it remains continuous and just have a very short drawer. Thing is that will be a very short drawer - inside anyway - by the time you add the side runners and a bottom and a bit of clearance at the top. As Malcolm suggested - "use your best judgement". A 1-7/8" inside drawer box could be useful enough. Not much practice though for cutting dovetails .

Have fun.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I would also think a 2" drawer depth would be plenty for a TV guide and a pocket full of remotes...?
    What's a TV guide?

Hi Adam

There are many ways to fit drawers into tables. Perhaps you may like to use the way I did this in my most recent table, a sofa table ...

The fun bit here is that the drawer is secret, and has a hidden release catch ...

The link to the construction details may be found here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...ompletion.html

Regards from Perth

Derek