Thread: Galvo CO2 Laser Information

Galvo CO2 Laser Information

I want to move into higher production capacity laser marking. I presume I will need a CO2 galvo as the material I want to mark is 3mm ply.

I havent started to make any serious enquiries yet, as I would like to understand limitations etc before I do so.

Do I need the equivalent power as my gantry system?

Is there the same divide between Eastern and Western machines with galvo systems as there is with gantry?

Anything I need to be aware of before I start to shop?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

A side note to Jit Patel What happened with your galvo?, I read in a previous thread that you werent using that machine . As a Trotec user my first purchasing enquiry will probably be with them.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w
    Roland VSi540 Roland RF 640 x2
    Summa R140 x2 Summa 120 Summa D60 x2
    Epson 9800
    And other bits

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay - been away on holidays!

Yes you are correct, my speedmarker is now redundant and is sitting here collecting dust. For the work we now produce, the machine just did not give us the detail we required. It suited our needs as we set up, but once we got the S400, the detail we got although a lot slower was on another level. Things have moved on since then, so we are now looking for a new galvo that allows the same/similar sort of detail as a gantry naturally with the blistering quick production time. The Trotec GS is an impressive beast, but has a massive cost attached to it but something we are considering.

What you want to look for is the spot size vs the field of vision. The larger the lasering field, the larger the spot therefore the less detail you will achieve. Also the software we have with our Speedmarker was terrible to work with. I'm sure newer versions are much much better. Give me a shout should you require more info.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

What companies actually produce a CO2 galvo?