Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Ancient Tools - Divider & Compass

There are much simpler methods to divide a width using a sector or a ruler. I won't go into how to use a sector or where to get one, I had to make mine, but you can goggle it. The ruler method is related to the sector and easier to explain.

If you want to divide the width of a board into seven equal increments, just take a ruler and lay it across the width of the board with one end at the edge of the board and the seven mark on the other edge. The ruler should be at an angle across the board. Now make a tic mark at each one inch increment and you have just divided the board into seven even increments! No trial and error, no math. Try it, it's easy!

Now using this knowledge, think about how to make a marking guage that will scratch a center line down the width of a board with parallel edges. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    There are much simpler methods to divide a width using a sector or a ruler. I won't go into how to use a sector or where to get one, I had to make mine, but you can goggle it. The ruler method is related to the sector and easier to explain.

If you want to divide the width of a board into seven equal increments, just take a ruler and lay it across the width of the board with one end at the edge of the board and the seven mark on the other edge. The ruler should be at an angle across the board. Now make a tic mark at each one inch increment and you have just divided the board into seven even increments! No trial and error, no math. Try it, it's easy!

Now using this knowledge, think about how to make a marking guage that will scratch a center line down the width of a board with parallel edges. Bob
    I use the angled ruler technique often and I might mention, you can use any even multiple of the desired segments i.e. if you want to divide the board into thirds, lay the angled ruler 0 one end and angled so 9 is on the other, make your marks at 3 and 6.

However if you are making a story stick which is only 3/4" wide, the angled ruler is no help but a sector is. The sector I made definitely works, but not to the precision of dividers so I use it to get in the ballpark, and if the task demands precision, I then walk it with dividers to fine tune the accuracy. A sector looks very impressive hanging on the wall but if you gave me the choice of a having a sector or a pair of dividers I'd take the dividers any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post

Bob, There are many ways to do things usually. Your way is a good method and I have used it. The only issue I have with it is you have to introduce another device to square your lines back to the end of the work if you need the marks at the end. Sectors are good also but again you have to introduce another device to transfer the marks.
    Jim

I've used the 345 trick like Stanley mentioned for laying out square foundation lines for farm buildings and fence corners using three wooden stakes and some baling twine. Basically you can just take a string as long as the side you want to reference off of, fold it into 3 or 4 segments (as is convenient.. depending on clearance/length of the other side) and then use that to measure the other two sides of the triangle. You can of course use any multiple of those numbers (6,8,10 or 9, 12, 15 for instance).

I would second that all of the Clickspring videos are quite good but I especially enjoy his tooling ones and the recent batch with the Antikythera repro he's been doing a good handful of what might be termed more "primitive" (or less heavily tooled anyway) techniques that I think are really relevant to a lot of folks here interests. I know at least one person is using a copy of his "jam vise" for a stitching pony (for stitching leather).

Guess I don't have to make one...now
    IMG_1983 (640x480).jpg
    6" dividers, and an Inside caliper...$5 each, today.

These will go well with a $0.50 item I got a few weeks ago..
    IMG_1982 (640x480).jpg
    Just about the same size. Works for me...

And....to "complete the set"....picked this little fellow up today..
    IMG_1986 (640x480).jpg
    Even came with a pencil! Between a contractor pack of 180 grit sandpaper, and these three tools
    IMG_1984 (640x480).jpg
    Spent $5 this morning at a Barn Sale...

I mentioned before using dividers/compass to scribe/layout around walls and columns.

The website linked below is about the restoration of a famous and wonderful wooden yacht. It shows an example of using a compass to layout curved planks for the yacht's hull. In the shipwright trade, this technique is called "spiling."

Take a look. I think you can see how useful this ancient method is, and can imagine many potential applications.

http://coronet1885.com/?p=1038

This example uses a thin wooden strip suited to planking, but for architectural purposes, a wider board or piece of cardboard is usually used.

Stan

Picked this one up today..
    IMG_2137 (640x480).jpg
    A real "corker" at $3 + Tax...arms are just under 8" long. I'll need to get rid of that black paint....

Steven, last time I got one like that for 3$ was 40 years ago. And it was a great deal then!

Have since removed to black paint, and cleaned and oiled the moving parts....even sharpened the points. One leg has a "Made in USA" 8, the other has a Scioto Tool Co.

Can get a few more "shots" of it, IF anyone wants to see them..

BTW: I also picked a Stanley No. 4c, type 16 today, for $12. Should be here by the weekend....

Twas a very good walk-about, today..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-04-2017 at 8:30 PM.