Thread: Options other than poly for a stump coffee table

Options other than poly for a stump coffee table

Hi,

I am making two stump coffee tables for a friend. I am a little behind schedule, so I opted for what I thought would be a simple finish with minwax satin poly (fast drying). First coat went on fine, and was readily sucked up. Second coat is just sitting on the surface, and still tacky after 24 hrs. I have tried to wipe it down with mineral oil, but that is looking worse, and I am thinking I am going to have to sand it back down to the wood.

Considering that these table tops are entirely end grain, is there a different finish I should be considering? polycrylic? danish oil? These are going to live in a hair salon, so a little durability would be good.

I have about a week to get these finished. I can control the temp, not much I can do about humidity, other than keep the air circulating.

Thanks!
    Chris

(This pic is old. They've actually been sanded down to 220)
    slab tops.jpg

I have never had a problem with Minwax poly drying. Many years ago when painting some window sash with oil based paint in my basement shop, the paint was not completely dry after two days. I finally figured out that it was too humid in the basement, bought a dehumidifier, and then the paint dried as expected.