Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do big business phones get nuisance phone sales calls?

Do big business phones get nuisance phone sales calls?

Do phones at a big businesses get nuisance phone sales calls just like phones at private residences?

For example, would a phone at the offices of Microsoft Corp get phone calls from "Charles at the Computer Security Department" warning that "There is a problem with your Windows Computer !" ?

I can't recall every getting a nuisance/scam call at a work phone - or even a call from a pollster, but I worked for the US government and that may be a special case.

If big business numbers don't get nuisance sales calls or calls from pollsters, is this because the people calling prefer to target private phones? Or is there some way a big business blocks such calls? ( I wonder if there is way to have a private phone number that makes scammers and pollsters think it belongs to a big business.)

My experience has been yes they do but only at the main switchboard number.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

You can configure a PBX to blacklist numbers. Or, require callers to enter a phone tree, which i suspecg autodialers have trouble negotiating. when i placed an asterisk box (ooen source lbx) in front of my phones, those calss stopped completley. Interestingly, they didnt pick up when it died; i suspect my number is now on a blacklist of some kind.
    Paul

Yes they do.
    Faxes too.

I manage logistics for about half the US for a huge multinational corp with over 50k employees in more than 40 countries. I still get spam calls on my work numbers.

We get them multiple times a day, via phone and fax

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    My experience has been yes they do but only at the main switchboard number.

"That was then...this is now"...robo dialers regularly hit DID numbers that ring directly to employees. I get several per week to my work number and since the technology I sell is also the technology I use, those bogus calls come to me wherever I happen to be on the planet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes.

NoMoRobo is a superb free service that blocks about 95% of spam calls. Highly recommended. (free on landlines, small monthly fee on iOS, Android coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Yes.

NoMoRobo is a superb free service that blocks about 95% of spam calls. Highly recommended. (free on landlines, small monthly fee on iOS, Android coming soon)
    NoMoRobo is great...but it's only available if you have certain types of phone service. It doesn't work for many "old school", copper-based land-line services because it requires a simultaneous ring feature that's not available on them. It's been very effective on our FiOS Digital Voice services and I have the iOS version running, too. Unfortunately, robo-dialer people have figured out how to randomize their CID including spoofing local numbers which bypasses services like NoMoRobo...
    --

Blog Entries
    Yes, I get spam calls on my work phones (more than 20,000 employees world wide). Some come through the main lines but most are caught by software (we use Skype for Business) but more come through on my mobile. As Jim notes, they have become sophisticated spoofing local numbers. My favorites are the ones that spoof the naval base numbers. Nearly all are solicitations for vaction rentals, solar panels or home remodeling work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    NoMoRobo is great...but it's only available if you have certain types of phone service. It doesn't work for many "old school", copper-based land-line services because it requires a simultaneous ring feature that's not available on them. It's been very effective on our FiOS Digital Voice services and I have the iOS version running, too. Unfortunately, robo-dialer people have figured out how to randomize their CID including spoofing local numbers which bypasses services like NoMoRobo...
    But life is still more pleasant with NoMoRobo than without it. NoMoRobo requires user input to block new numbers. I'm pretty sure they verify that a number is not a legit number before blocking it. I have NoMoRobo's web site bookmarked and the password close to hand. I report every scam call we receive. One spammer with a sense of humor displayed NoMoRobo's phone number on the caller ID. That didn't last long though. On my cell if I don't recognize a number it goes to voice mail. If the caller is legit they'll leave some sort of message.

Oh, I agree, Curt. But the randomization being used by the robo callers in increasing volume is thwarting things because the numbers end up being real numbers owned by real people or businesses, but not owned who is doing the actual calling. The service essentially can't do anything about them because they are "one time" use and randomly generated. You know where I live...we are getting more and more robo calls showing as 215-794-xxxx, which is our local exchange. On my wireless phone, they are coming in as 267-750-xxxx which is my phone's "local exchange", as it were. NoMoRobo has greatly reduced our robo call volume for sure...there are a whole bunch of "one ringers" that back that up. Hopefully, the industry will come up with a way to deal with the random spoofing which such a service just can't fix by blocking "a" number.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    ... Or, require callers to enter a phone tree, which i suspecg autodialers have trouble negotiating....
    Ooo, I want that for my cell phone. "You have reached the Jordan Farm. Press 1 to leave a message, press 2 if you want to buy an alpaca, press 3 to enter the bottomless menu abyss if you are trying to get some of my money. Press the secret number if you are family or friend. For all other calls please hold for the next available farmer."

JKJ

The answer is "sort of" Stephen. We get plenty of calls but the aggravations and scams are different.

1. This is your copier company, can you give me the model and serial number. Results in unordered paper and toner at inflated prices.
    2. Attempts at phone service or electric supplier hijacking.
    3. Faxed "special offers" on jewelry, travel deals, parking lot paving, roofing repair
    4. And worst of all calls from Senator or Congressman Bumblethump's office looking for contributions.

The list goes on endlessly.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by john k jordan View Post
    ooo, i want that for my cell phone. "you have reached the jordan farm. Press 1 to leave a message, press 2 if you want to buy an alpaca, press 3 to enter the bottomless menu abyss if you are trying to get some of my money. Press the secret number if you are family or friend. For all other calls please hold for the next available farmer."

jkj
    roflol!!!!!!!!!!
    --