Thread: Woodbutchers on the Road?

Woodbutchers on the Road?

I'm a woodworker and have a fully outfitted home shop. I'd like to do a little wood butchery while traveling but not sure what works well on the road. We have a 5th wheel and pickup and I'm trying to figure out how to keep making sawdust while traveling. Any other woodworkers out there traveling with their hobby? If so, what do you bring and how do you bring it?

Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

There's a current thread in the Neanderthal forum about that topic. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...61-Ft-Bragg-CA

As Jamie notes, the "Neander" way is a great method for continuing woodworking while traveling. If you still prefer power tools, you can easily take a "specialty" on the road, such as a scroll saw or a small lathe and have hours of woodworking enjoyment with minimal gear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. Mostly a chat about a workbench and forest fires, but I do like the bench and may incorporate it into my plans.

Jim,
    Kind of where I was headed. I thought that those two tools would give me a lot of options and could be operated in a campground without disturbing the neighbors. I like to build boxes as well so I thought about making up a buttload of parts at home and doing some veneer/inlay work while traveling.
    Jim

Here is the link to the list of tools. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...747-Travel-Kit

Thanks guys. Some great ideas. I thnk the plan is evolving. I'm thinking I have room for a midi lathe (Jet 1221 or the Nova II), a scroll saw and an assortment of accessories. I'm also thinking that this spring might be a good time for a road trip and a woodworking class with Roy Underhill or Ernie Conover to finally learn how to use the dreaded hand tools and turn towards more Neanderthal woodworking since I now have the time (and patience) required.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James A. Wolfe View Post
    Jim,
    Kind of where I was headed. I thought that those two tools would give me a lot of options and could be operated in a campground without disturbing the neighbors. I like to build boxes as well so I thought about making up a buttload of parts at home and doing some veneer/inlay work while traveling.
    Jim
    Yes, scrolling and turning are pretty quiet operations. The latter does "make a mess" but it's easily disposed of in your fire pit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...