Thread: Jet 1236 wood lathe

Jet 1236 wood lathe

For Sale: Jet JWL 1236 lathe with base. Bought used ~4 yrs ago.
    Neither the previous owner nor I used it much. Now I don"t have
    room. 110v, single phase good condition. Will include a basic set
    of tools, live cent, and face plate. Located in Westerville, Ohio,
    suburb of Columbus. Asking $450. If interested, contact me with
    your email for pix.

That's a nice starter lathe. From what I recall, it's a close clone of a reasonably-regarded Harbor Freight lathe that sells for about $320. Link. I own the HF version and it is certainly sufficient for a beginner like me.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-13-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's a nice starter lathe. From what I recall, it's a close clone of a reasonably-regarded Harbor Freight lathe that sells for about $320. Link. I own the HF version and it is certainly sufficient for a beginner like me.

Fred
    Fred. You're killing me. I have been to HF a couple of times, and there's not a lot there that I would drag home if you gave it to me, especially anything that has a cord!
    Last edited by Bud Kline; 09-15-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Kline View Post
    Fred. You're killing me. I have been to HF a couple of times, and there's not a lot there that I would drag home if you gave it to me, especially anything that has a cord!
    Hi Bud,
    I'd agree with you on most of their stuff. But there are lists of "HF gems" and the lathe I have is on most of the ones Ive read. There are also a handful of folks here on SMC who have them and also comment favorably, which I found out after I bought mine. The tool's been a nice surprise.

Take care,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Kline View Post
    Same here - I refuse to buy anything from HF that has an electric motor and parts that move.

The Jet you have is a reasonable lathe and well built - I know several people who have one. It is limited by the swing and the reeves drive is not high on my list of features but I know a guy who has one and uses it to turn all kinds of things including his favorite, natural edged bowls - an 11" bowl isn't exactly small. I haven't checked but the price seems reasonable. I have a brother up the road from you (Marysville) who is about to retire in a few months and has been talking about getting a lathe - I'll ask him but I don't think he has his space ready yet.

JKJ

This is a very good lathe for a very good price. Lots of fun
    to
    use.

Thanks everyone for your input. Lathe sold this afternoon.

Good for you!