Thread: Hand-Engraved Bontz Saws

Hand-Engraved Bontz Saws

The mail carrier delivered a hand-engraved Bontz birthday saw. Of course it's really almost too nice to use now....

1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

Thanks Dad. He's been a hand-engraver since 1953 so has just a bit of experience. Perhaps he will retire before he turns 90.

Blog Entries
    The tote looks nice, but how is it in hand?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The tote looks nice, but how is it in hand?

jtk
    Jim,

It feels fine in your hand; it's almost like holding a handgun with engraved grips. I might return it and have the brass engraved as well since that's what he usually engraves at work.

How are you going to bring yourself to use it?
    Jim

That is gorgeous. Some day in a 100 years time someone will come across this at an estate sale, buy it and prize it, and speculate about the wealth of the previous owner!

I second Jim's question, how is it to hold? I see the outside and inside curves are smooth, I imagine that helps the ergonomics.

The tote is fine to hold and it takes little/no time to adjust to the "feel." I have engraved wooden grips on a handgun and it feels much like that. Using it is a different story. It might be reserved for special situations. Hopefully it will go down the lineage of the family with some other things RLR has engraved. If it does end up in an estate auction in future generations, I hope the buyer(s) enjoy the saw.

Simply outstanding saw Rich, not the least of which is R Bonz contribution to the item. I sincerely hope it never ends up in an estate sale and it should be used daily until such time as it is to pass it on. Your Dad is on top of this engraving stuff, isn't he.
    David

Such exquisite work on such a humble little saw. Just stunning. My compliments to the master.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Such exquisite work on such a humble little saw. Just stunning. My compliments to the master.
    Agreed. I have seen this in person and it is gorgeous!

Very nice,but the word is carved.