Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Inventory, next project?

Maple Inventory, next project?

Ok, have a bit of both Curly Maple and plain old Maple left over. Need to find some ideas to use them up...
    IMG_1868.jpg
    Have this panel. This is how it came home..3 board glue up, 15" wide x 31" long.....top?

There is a pile in the shop..
    IMG_1871 (640x480).jpg
    Mostly Maple. Walnut is down to small bits and pieces (trim?) the rest is Pine and Poplar
    Maple seems to be in this size..
    IMG_1872 (640x480).jpg
    1 x 6 and 1 x8 around 2' long or so. Nice stack..
    IMG_1878 (640x480).jpg
    There is ONE board that seems to say "Drawer Front"
    IMG_1880 (640x480).jpg
    Wild grain. There is also what remains of another wide plank
    IMG_1879 (640x480).jpg
    Yep, that split finally came apart. There are 5/4" thick.....stiles for ...?

The Poplar can be sides for small drawers. Pine can be for frames inside a case. Or just more jigs.

may just sleep on this a while...I think I need a day off, after that Walnut & Cherry Box project....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is "Off-line" right now.

Stay tuned....may come up with something to cobble together...

Thinking of ripping that thick slab into stiles.....should be able to get four out of it? Maybe sit that glued up panel on top? Maybe a drawer under it? Or...small Blanket Chest atthe foot of a bed? One that seems to think it is a drawer front..can be made into a fancy end panel ? Bread board ends on the lid? Add a few trim pieces of what is left of the Walnut?

Will see when I get back to the shop. Hmmmm, Frame &Panel case? Breadboards? One or two panels across the front and backs...? Maybe a small "keepsafe" box, just under the lid?

This might take a while....hope it doesn't get too boring.....

IF nothing gets in the way tomorrow...like the Boss having other plans for me.., I MIGHT meander down and get a start on this Maple project. Maybe see how I am fixed for building the frames..to hold a few panels. Might try a few "new" things out...we'll see. Don't have a way to do video in the shop.....unless someone shows up to do that...shop is open just about every afternoon...

Set the resaw jig to 1-3/4" away from the blade. Ran the 5/4 slab through, and a couple other boards. Need to size them for length, next. Then I can figure out the sizes needed for the raised panels...May have to do a few panel glue ups...Sticking with a single panel on the ends, and two ( maybe..) panels for the front, and for the rear. May work on the frames a while, tomorrow..

Hand plane WORK ( and I am soaked..) today. All frame parts for the front and back frames have been jointed, and the faces smoothed. ( pictures later this evening)

May need a stick or three more, to finish the build. Back is now stiffened up. Need to find a bit of Lunch...

Had to rip a thin slice off of one board..so it would match the ones it will connect to...counting width of the cut....1/8" total removed....then planed flat.

Shop Cat kicked me out of my chair!
    IMG_1889 (640x480).jpg
    So, I guess I should do a little work in the shop?
    IMG_1890 (640x480).jpg
    Resaw jig set to 1-3/4"from the blade. Shoplight to help me SEE the lines.
    IMG_1891 (640x480).jpg
    Results. Needed to clean the bench off, and build a jig....of some sort
    IMG_1892 (640x480).jpg
    These needed the edges jointed....tried the 5-1/2 Stanley...
    IMG_1893 (640x480).jpg
    But it was a tad too "tippy"....went with a Millers Falls No. 14 Jack instead.
    IMG_1898 (640x480).jpg
    these also had a bit of stain on them...readjusted the jig, and removed the red stuff..
    IMG_1899 (640x480).jpg
    Needed smoothed anyway....there were a few long rails to plane down....wavy saw cuts and such...
    IMG_1901 (640x480).jpg
    Rails are almost 30" long, so a longer plane was used.
    Out of room for pictures....BRB

That long jointer plane?
    IMG_1902 (640x480).jpg
    Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7.....I also tried a "different" jointer plane..
    IMG_1903 (640x480).jpg
    A No. 81.....Did ok on the Maple..
    IMG_1904 (640x480).jpg
    So..now all I need to make are a few raised panel blanks. Parts for the front and back frames are ready to be grooved, and mortise and tenoned. End frames may get cobble after that.

Now, IF I can just get my chair back....

really nice looking wood.

Said it before - you are a dynamo Steven C, but that was one serious looking cat and I would not challenge it for the chair. Surely there are other chairs you can use.
    David

He merely wants a lap to snooze the afternoon away on...

Yard sales this morning...spent $10..
    IMG_1907 (640x480).jpg
    Pair of pipe clamps. Came in handy, too
    IMG_1906 (640x480).jpg
    Picked these up at Aldi's last night....will get them tuned up, later..
    IMG_1909 (640x480).jpg
    Glue up for either the front or back panel..
    IMG_1911 (640x480).jpg
    And the other panel. Only had 5 pipe clamps on hand, until the two from the yard sale arrived..
    IMG_1912 (640x480).jpg
    Cut out the foot profiles. Will see how the side ones turn out, later.
    IMG_1916 (640x480).jpg
    Center divider, and a top and bottom rail. Awaiting to see how the panels turn out, before any grooves get made.
    IMG_1915 (640x480).jpg
    Used this old Bailey No.7c today....back is getting stiff. Will call it a day..

May need to go and get a stick or two of Maple....need a bit of 1 x 4 stock. Maybe build a webframe to support the bottom panel. I suppose Pine will do for that.

Maple Chest this time around....made one in Walnut a few years ago....as a tool chest! Has since been recycled into a "Winter Clothes" storage...
    tool chest 1.jpg
    Used to hit my shins all the time...
    IMAG0007.jpg
    At one time, it was cleaned up...
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Just a tool chest, back then. Light coloured panels are Sycamore.

Looks nice..... Guess I waited too long to tell you what you need to build for me

Did you ever use a plane so much...that you had to set it aside, just for it to cool down? I had to keep changing planes today, to allow them to cool down...

IMG_1925 (640x480).jpg
    And, this was the second such pile, today....
    IMG_1918 (640x480).jpg
    Had a few grooves to mill..got half of them done..
    IMG_1919 (640x480).jpg
    Removed the clamps off of one panel..laid out some lines...
    IMG_1921 (640x480).jpg
    Wound up with two panels for the front...
    IMG_1923 (640x480).jpg
    Made a jig to hold a panel ...
    IMG_1924 (640x480).jpg
    And started to raise a panel....finally got one panel done
    IMG_1926 (640x480).jpg
    That I could fine tune the fit into the stiles and rails.

Maybe tomorrow, I can get #2 panel raised? Then figure out the length of the top and bottom rails. Right now? George Killian has a bottle calling me name...
    Stay tuned...

Planes used..
    IMG_1934 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No.4c, Type 20, Stanley No. 4 , type 9, Stanley No.60-1/2, Cordovan.
    IMG_1935 (640x480).jpg
    Curly Maple Raised Panel. One done, three to go......

Hi Steven,

Christopher Schwarz has warned us, I think it was him anyway, and I think it was in the Anarchists tool chest, that perfectly good tool cabinets can become blanket chests (or as was a recent case on this forum a toy box) if we aren't careful....I think it often has to do with the lady of the house. (As I pointed out however, we grandpas are pretty easy marks for toy boxes for grandchildren.....shoot, it was what we had planned all along anyway......)

Anyway, I thought is was a pretty darned good tool chest.....it didn't show up in you on line tour of your shop, so I guess I should have known.

Stew