Thread: 14 inch Band saw

14 inch Band saw

Question for those with more experience.

Everything being equal. Which saw would you buy. A Rockwell International or a Delta/Pentair? Both saws are made in the USA.

Thanks.

How old are they? What horsepower (they vary greatly)? Nice to find one with both a miter gage and a fence. Does one have a riser block? Same guides, or aftermarket? Open or (optional) enclosed stand?

I had a Rockwell from the 70's, and loved it, but it only had a 1/2 HP motor. My late (almost 20 years old) model Delta has a larger table, blade tensioner, and 1 1/2 HP. Like it a lot better.

If everything IS really equal, I would go with the newest one, unless the older one is extra clean.

Rick P
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-14-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Have both, and no preference as to one over the other. They both do the same thing, cut wood. Have much newer Delta enclosed base that just like it was when it entered the shop ten years ago, in pieces. Some day, maybe?

As Rick mentioned, condition, motor size, accessories, and location would probably be the deciding factors. That said, I have heard of some quality-control concerns on Rockwell International machines with the "peace symbol" on them.

--Geoff