Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SurfPrep electric sanders

Blog Entries

SurfPrep electric sanders

Anybody seen an average price on the SurfPrep 5" round electric sanders?

We were quoted 499.75 in volume for the 5"psa and h&l p.s. both with central vac.

Blog Entries
    We are buying a lot of sandpaper from the company and trying to get a heads up on the average price. I want this sander for personal use... If I work it right I might get a good deal. It worked with Fastenal

That's about what I was quoted as well.
    I've been trying to get a salesman to drop one off for a few days to try it. We've got Ceros and Deros sanders, and I prefer the Ceros for most things. I'm curious how the Surfprep measures up, but I'm not willing to buy one without using one in my environment first.

Blog Entries
    We use air for everything. We have shifted from Klingspor to SurfPrep as they will maintain the overhead sanders as a part of the agreement. I think they will check and set the machines twice a year...

We were all air but moving to the electrics has been heaven. The cost of making all that air is a great burden to get out from under. Ive been happy all around. Compressor runs about 1/3 as much, the electrics are much more quiet to me and we can take the sanders we love and use every day into the field if needed (rare).

I too would love to get a surfprep in the shop for a week or so. Im on the same page as Martin. We love the Ceros and are bummed that they are no longer available. I have never had my hands on a Deros but I can almost know ahead of time that leaving the dynabrade shape and size I wont be happy.

I had asked our sales rep to quote a half a dozen sander (surf prep) order and it felt to me like other than perhaps throwing in some abrasives out of their own pocket the pricing is pretty much fixed the same way Mirka, Festool, and so on, are. We were not offered any column pricing or anything. Just a flat quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    . I have never had my hands on a Deros but I can almost know ahead of time that leaving the dynabrade shape and size I wont be happy.
    I was positive I was going to hate the Deros when we got the first one. It sands really well, and it's not as good as a Ceros in your hand, but it's not bad. It's not a horrible replacement.

What I don't understand, is why can't they put the little power supply in the Deros in the end of the cord. My biggest complaint with the Ceros was the bulkiness of the cord.

Blog Entries
    Plenty of air in the building. I think 140,000sqft plus another 60k if needed.....We have some SurfPrep sanders in the building but no electric.

Compressed air is an expensive way to sand. We've got a 15hp screw, it'll only run three dynabrades at a time well. That's a lot of power getting torched for not much return. I loved the air sanders, but I'd never go back to them for everyday operation. Too expensive, and I think the Mirkas cut faster and leave a better scratch than the Dynabrades

Blog Entries
    Air isn't a problem. The sanding crew alone have 5 sanders going all day.We have at least 15-20 staplers going as well. This doesn't include 3 full time sprayers... I keep thinking it's an Atlas..

The dumpsters is what expensive. Two construction dumpsters a week.
    Last edited by jack duren; 09-16-2017 at 10:41 PM.

I know a lot of large shops just use air because they have lots of air and it's just the way it is done for years. But I hear more and more shops, especially those chasing lean, seeing Martin's point. You can have 15hp worth of compressor, refrigerated dryer, and filtration, running to cover three sanders.That about 6 hp per sander which seems to be the industry average, as compared to perhaps 3000+ watts for three electrics. The 16 HP of compressor and dryer is probably 12,000 watts just on the energy side. Forget about maintenance costs, filtration, and so on.

Air is one of those deals if it doesn't get blown out the end of the hose you don't make it. But happy your happy with the air sanders.

Blog Entries
    I'll take air sanders over electric anytime. Sadly most shops don't think of air as a priority...As long as they can shoot a gun or spray their contact adhesive there ok...

I definitely prioritize air for things that cant be done well otherwise. Nailers, there is no other option at present, spraying, at least now with AAA the air consumption is about 1/5 what it was years ago. Air to feed the cnc, various hold downs, ancillary needs for other machines, for sure. But I try to make only what I have to. We have ditched all but a couple air drills for corded impact drivers. In just a month of convserving air the refection in the electric bill is mind blowing. Its an expensive way to work. But for sure, when you need it, air is the bomb.

Ten years ago, there wasn't a viable replacement to an air sander. Now it's a different story.

My brother worked for a cereal company. They had a 100hp air compressor just to keep up with the leaks. They spent $50k a year just to charge the lines.

Another theory to compressed air is to run multiple compressors. Instead of one 50hp compressor run a pair of 25's.
    When demand is low one is running, when it's up, both kick in. I debated about doing that even in my small scale, but it wasn't really cost effective. I would've had to run the line dryer separate too. Then there's the issue of room for another unit.

Our electric bill is $600/month right now with two guys, and the compressor running about 50hrs a month. How much the compressor and dryer actually contributes to that, I don't know.

Seat of the pants calc based on $0.12/kwh power Id say your 15HP screw at 200 hours a month with dryer is probably close to half your monthly bill. 2250kwh would be around $270. Thatd be with some fudge factor for loss and the dryer and again just a back of the napkin calc.