Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it worth it to move my stationary power tools cross country?

"It depends". Were it me in your situation, I'd list everything except for the drill press. Craigslist it as early as possible, following Terry's advice above. Then replace the tools on the other end with 8"+ jointer, cabinet saw, better bandsaw. Mind you, when I last moved, I DID bring everything, but I also moved myself in a very stuffed rental truck. I've since replaced both my 6" jointer and my contractor's saw.

Now, if I were to move again, I'd sell two of my three bandsaws, and probably my drill press. I'll keep my SawStop, and I plan on building myself a coffin that will rest on top of my Minimax FS30 for my viewing, then my kids can fight over who has to lug that hunka sexy Italian iron home. The odds of me ever again finding a deal on a European jointer/planer like I got on that are slim to nil, so I ain't taking any chances.

Short answer: If you want to upgrade, use this as an opportunity.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Depends on your budget. Upgrading to a cabinet saw and an 8 inch jointer was a huge plus for me. I would echo some of the sentiment above if you can upgrade.

If the 14 inch band saw is an older American made machine or a decent Laguna or Rikon I would hold on to it as well as the drill press.

But moving this stuff will not be difficult at all.

Also would echo the sentiment of taking into account prices where you are moving to. California seems to ahve decent prices for equipment, it seems to get pricey for decent stuff actually down south east from what I can see. Mid west has decent used equipment prices from time to time but you will have too look diligently and be picky to get good deals.