Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Providing notice at work

It is a sticky situation for sure. The situation would be like senior partner at a law firm being offered a position as a judge or some other government appointment.

The ideal plan is to work until maternity leave, give notice, return for a day, and then walk out. What is technically correct, legally correct, and ethically/morally correct can vary and contradict each other.

Luckily she is invaluable in her current role. I would personally say that letting her go in this theoretical situation would be cutting of their nose to spite their face. Not to mention the bad optics of terminating a pregnant employee with strong relations throughput the company and is constantly ranked in the top 5% of employees corporate wide.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    She would also be eligible for unemployment compensation.
    In some states you are not eligible for unemployment if you leave voluntarily. I have no idea how Connecticut handles things. Also, not all employees are eligible for unemployment in some states, and I don't think we know what she does for a living.

If you are really concerned about her rights, you should be talking to someone who knows how things work in your state. A lawyer might be a good choice, but there might be counselors at whatever state department handles labor issues who could help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    The law requires Cobra to be offered for up to 6 months. You would be on the hook for the premiums.

Steve
    I believe COBRA must offered for 18 months, at least it was to me when I left.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

This forum is visible to anyone with internet access so she may not need to give formal notice, especially if one of her coworkers is also a woodworker.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Life's a lot different depending upon where you live.

Where I live your healthcare coverage has nothing to do with your employment, if you reside here, you have coverage. I guess my comment is I have no advice that would be useful in this area.

As for notice, I would give notice, then the employer can decide if they want to keep you until your last day of notice, or ask you to leave immediately and pay you until the end of your notice period.

Rod

Step 1: Look at her employment contract. it may state that you need to give two weeks notice.

Where I work, if I put in two weeks notice, they would do a brain transfer and work me like a dog for two weeks before I left. They might even make a counter-offer.

If there is some uncertainty, I would say nothing until the the required time to do so. I have seen people walked out very quickly after putting in their notice. For the most part, this has been petty stupidity because the manager was simply angry that the person was leaving. If I leave on my own terms, then walking me out is just plain dumb. If I wanted to do something to the system, I would do it before putting in my notice. If i am terminated not by my choice, they almost always walk you out the door; although I have seen people given a few weeks notice, but this is the exception.

I have seen people give their two weeks notice just before they take off for two weeks vacation.

If there is real concern, then speak with a lawyer before putting in your notice.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that failing to give two weeks notice might result in an unfavorable reference in the future.

At the company I worked for one guy gave a 2 day notice and they said ok we will get you your final check in 2 days. He said no I said i am giving you my today notice and will be gone at quitting time

I got fired once at a shop that was always chaotic. They kindly listed my faults. But I had already heard from others that the previous guy wanted to come back. Told the owner "I'll pack up and leave now". Then he asked me if I would work a few more days! I laid out several conditions for that and he agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Something that hasn't been mentioned is that failing to give two weeks notice might result in an unfavorable reference in the future.
    Most companies will only verify that you worked for them, and what dates. Nothing more, nothing less, to CYA. An unfavorable review sets law suits in motion.

In this day, I would not post a question like this on social media with my name and location. Too many companies monitor social media. On other sites where you are not required to post your name it would be OK.

Am I over cautious.....probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

I have seen people give their two weeks notice just before they take off for two weeks vacation.
    That wouldn't work at my place of employment, sort of--separation date is last day actually worked.

That said, accrued vacation and comp time get paid out at separation, but sick time does not. They recently cracked down on comp time because those close to retirement were banking a bunch of it to get an extra fat check when they hung it up, causing an annual labor cost nightmare (earned at one income level in one year, paid out at a higher level years down the road due to COLA increases). Vacation can only be banked to 50% greater than the annual allotment--I get 10 days/year, so I can accrue up to 15 before accrual stops and I miss out. Those with >20 years service get 25 days, so they can bank 37.5 days vacation. Comp time gets automatically paid at something like 240 hours, I think--I've only managed to accrue about 40-50 at one time, because I use it for random days off, "spring fever" type days. I get 12 sick days/year, and can bank up to 66--in just over 2 years, I have yet to call-in, but I do use a little here and there for dentist appointments and the like. And 3 days for oral surgery back in January (should have used more!), so I'm sitting on about 22 days already--saving them for a day when I may need surgery on a shoulder or something like that. If I max out, I don't care--I'd rather be seen as dependable, than always calling in sick.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason, as an aside, my employer no longer offers "vacation" in the traditional sense...that takes it off the books from an accounting standpoint and they don't have to accrue it. (carryover died years ago..."use it or lose it" had been the case for quite a few years) Now, folks get DTO..."discretionary time off". In other words, you can take off as much or as little as you want as long as you are doing your job (and hopefully exceeding goals) and it doesn't affect customers or the team in a negative way. We do have to mark the days in the time keeping system (the only thing we mark since we are all considered salaried for our base pay) but there's no "vacation". The upside to this system is that it's very flexible for the employee. The downside is that many employees tend to forget to take time off... ...myself included. Of course, I'm leaving that behind in, oh...two weeks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Most companies will only verify that you worked for them, and what dates. Nothing more, nothing less, to CYA. An unfavorable review sets law suits in motion.
    HR people tell me that they can also ask and answer the question "would this person be eligible for re-hire", yes or no.

Given this theoretical situation:
    1. Has anyone seen a person walked out for providing notice?
    2. Any recourse she could pursue?
    3. Any thoughts on how to handle such a situation?
    I gave two weeks notice at a place I worked on a Monday morning. On Wednesday I was called into the head guy's office to discuss why I was leaving.(the other place pretty much doubled my pay---so--no brainer..)
    At the end of the "exit interview", the head guy told me to just go ahead and pick up whatever I had at my desk/workstation and take off. I tried to make the rounds and say goodbye to people, but, I was told I was to leave - ASAP.
    They did pay me for the rest of the week - more like they let me take the two and a half days as vacation, but, I didn't get paid for the other vacation days I had coming.

I didn't take offense or anything at being asked to leave. I'd been at other places where people that gave notice were just told to leave so it wasn't a big deal.
    Plus, the other place that hired me was fine with me starting a week early! <--which meant I started making more money a week sooner.

The place I was asked to leave above though is the only place that actually told me to leave. Other places I was expected to work out the two weeks.
    Also - quite a few other people I worked with there had not been told to leave after giving notice, so, it seems the policy was--sort of iffy.

Weird part is - I was gone from there for 2 years, and they turned around and asked me to come back! I did and stayed there till I retired!

LOL! Go figure!
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...