Thread: Hidden deck fasteners

Hidden deck fasteners

I have to do a deck that is about 500 sq'...They don't want to see the fasteners if it can be helped. What would you suggest as a hidden fastener. I've looked at the Cameo, Ipe clip fasteners & a few others. I don't know if I get it grooved or use a biscuit joiner. Do I have to worry about water freezing in the groove & cracking the edge of the board.....Any info would be appreciated...

I used the plastic biscuit - stainless steel things on Ipe deck . It's OK ,but that stuff shrinks so much that the the fasteners and screws are pretty prominent. If I ever do another one I will use slotted brass screws.

On yachts we set the screws in counterbored holes and plug them. A Fuller bit drills the hole and countersink, and counterbores all in one operation.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Kreg deck jig. Screws go into the edge
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I had good luck with the IPE fastner, but makes sure to get the version with the steel insert in the middle. I started with the all plastic version, but I did not like that. I bought my decking material from Advantage, and it was grooved. When I was talking to another wood supplier he said it was more common to use material that was not grooved and grove where needed using a plate joiner. I live in a much colder climate than you and they have not reported any hold down failures in 5 years.

The plugs are the best strength wise, but quite a bit more time.

I've used the Eb-TY fastener on several decks with no issues. All using composite decking though. You don't say what decking material you are using. Use with slotted deck boards or use a biscuit jointer to cut the slot. The slotted deck boards are a lot less work.

I'm curious myself. If you use PT wood 5/4 - does it just shrink too much to use any sort of hidden fastener? Does pre drying for a couple months help? I've always just screwed it down right from the store but it sure does look rough after it dries.

I did ~900 sg ft cedar deck for the in laws using the Cameo fasteners. Went well during installation and they have not had any problems for the last 6-7 years.

If the pt is wet I would not try the hidden fasteners without letting it dry first. Otherwise I think it would shrink completely beyond reach.

My experience is the same as Brad's. No issues and I, too, live where winters are a real event.

John

I used the Camo system on Trex. No issues in 4 years

I used Cameo on cedar. It's "OK". I think it would work better if you are VERY careful to make sure boards are dry and flat. I think it would work better on a manufactured (or oily) wood.

If you happen to be getting Trex or something that comes with a slot cut in the edges, maybe look into using some of the clip-type solutions, but if you'd have to cut the slots, I can't see how you'd get much better result than using the Cameo system.