Thread: Power / Speed conversions

Power / Speed conversions

As I was reading another thread a question popped into my head. Are there any power and speed conversion charts? I was reading a settings pdf for a product like cermark. Their chart had suggested settings for a 35 watt laser and a 45 watt laser. Is there any type of conversion or rule of thumb formulas to convert to a different laser wattage? Example - 45 watt laser speed 60 / power 40. What or how would that be converted to say an 80 watt tube?

In order to do a conversion, you must have the speed of the machine as well as the power. Some machines raster at 140 ips while others may be at 80 ips or even 60 ips.
    Converting the settings for a Chinese machine throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the equation as they can't be operated at full power.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Every machine, even identical machines, won't engrave things the same as the next one. The only way to know what your machine will do on Cermark is to run a power grid test, which is a matrix of several columns of power settings and several rows of speed settings. **based on my experience**, if you're using a 40w or less machine, you'll need full power always. However, while running an 80w machine (for example) at higher speeds to compensate for the power works well for some people/machines, I've found Cermark likes some heat-soak time to get the blackest mark and best adhesion. Because some higher power tubes- like my 80w RECI- can actually burn away the Cermark rather than fuse it nicely, I've found that at slow enough speeds to result in good heat soak requires less than full power to get a satisfactory mark.

but- all machines are different, and I'm sure there's likely many high power machines that can run Cermark quite a bit faster than I care to and get satisfactory results- at least in the eyes of their owners

And one last thing I've found over the years- nearly all suggested power/speed settings I've found online are completely out of the ballpark for any of my machines.

Here's a screenshot of a simple power grid anyone can use-
    powergrid.jpg
    and this is a Corel10 version of the grid - power grid.cdr

This is just a basic starting point, if you're using a glass laser the speeds you'll change to mm/second, and depending on laser power you may not need lower than 100%, or in the case of my Triumph, MUCH lower than 75%... anyway, set up to your preference and run one column at a time--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the info guys! That helps. So I guess one could run a power grid test on several materials to gather a baseline of starting points for the given materials as well as the desired results. Whilst I wait to purchase my laser I am trying to gather up as many useful bits of information as I can. I've already got most of my workflow figured out going from Sketchup Models, to 2d Planes, to DXF. Making any final designs in my CAD program then import to RDworks. RDworks is a bit crude to say the least. Typical Chinese / Windows 3.1 feel, awkward nomenclature etc.

If you put into your mind that RDworks is NOT an 'editing tool' and is ONLY the necessary evil needed to run the machine and NOTHING MORE, all will be right with the world...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Like others have stated even machines from the same manufacturer are different. We have four of the same lasers and they all vary in power and speed settings (Slightly) . Most Equipment manufacturers will supply you with a basic cheat sheet on powers and speeds, These are mainly starting points and you move on from there. Camfives sheet states we should cut 1/8" plywood at 15 mm/s - We run our machines from 35 - 41 mm/s. Once you get your machine and start testing materiel you'll find sweet spots for most materiels.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Blog Entries
    Test and test some more once you get your machine. And do fergit about rdworks as anything but interface makes life much easier. I'll occasionally size and rotate but really not any more than that, and if you get good, you can import colors and not have to select those.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others