Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to fit a Sawstop cabinet Saw into their small shop?

Who wants to fit a Sawstop cabinet Saw into their small shop?

I've been using a folding Jobsite Saw from Sawstop for the last two years. For what it is it's quite good, but I've always wanted a real cabinet Saw from Sawstop.

My shop is a detached single car garage 9 1/2 x 20. I don't have the width to have the full Saw and still be able to walk through the shop. Decided that I rarely use the full rip width, plus I have a Tracksaw for sheet goods and really wide tips.

Used the tracksaw to cut 12 inches off the MDF insert, and drilled and countersunk two new mounting screws. I tried to use a hacksaw to cut off the metal bars that extended past the Saw. That wasn't really working, so I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, Grinder wheel and flap sander to trim it to size and smooth it off.

I now now have about 25 inches of rip capacity, and that really plenty. Plus I have the great T glide fence.

Anyone else try this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 09-15-2017 at 3:41 PM.

Nice setup and I bet it will work great for your space. Cutting down fences is a popular way to make things fit better.

Nice job. My shop is getting constricted since part of the garage is being taken for additional interior square footage. I may have to do something similar to my 36" PCS but hoping not to - will come down to how much space I want on either side of the saw to move around freely.

Honestly, I think it's a rare circumstance that most woodworkers need large rip capacities to the right of the blade on their table saws and that's become even more the norm with the proliferation of track saws of various flavors that let folks cut down sheet goods without having to have a gorilla or two to help lift and move the sheets. I did similar with my slider to get more actual shop space so I could use the tool more effectively. Good job on this tool modification!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very creative! Nice work. Looks like it will do a fine job for you.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I bought the SS with the long rails. Total waste of space. I've cut the rails down twice now, and currently have about 30" of rip capacity. I don't think I've ever ripped more than 24" (for base cabinets). Anything bigger than that is usually for rough construction work (subfloor, etc), which doesn't require furniture-accurate cuts... and I just use my track saw since cutting sheets that big on the table saw is really not much fun.

Anyway, good on you. I think you made a good choice, and given that you have a track saw, I'll be surprised if you miss the rip capacity you gave up.

Nice idea, and great saw!

I have a smaller shop with 104 square feet. Our two car garage is at the side and can be used for temporary work.

My Makita contractor saw gives me 25" rip capacity and I use my skillsaw to break panels. I use a conventional 7 1/4" saw and a heavy duty aluminium profiled bar I purchased almost 30 years ago as a guide for the saw.

It has worked well for me for 25+ years!

The industrial base is a huge help with the saw to move it around.

Nice modification.

I cut my General 650 to have a rip capacity of 32 inches from 50 inches.

It made a huge difference in shop space.............Regards, Rod.

Bill, you did what I would have done if I had purchased a SS.

I considered the the 36" with the upgraded fence. I also wanted the sliding attachment. To add the latter, and bring it closer to the blade, the fence would have needed to be cut away on the left of the blade (as well as to the right, if I wanted to shorten it there). All that made me pause and re-consider the whole deal.

My options were the SS or a Hammer K3. In the end I went for the latter. One of the features of the latter I sought was its compactness. I was not prepared to cut down the SS. Glad it worked out for you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I went from a Jet contractor saw with a 52" Biesmeyer to a SawStop with 36" T-glide. Fits much better in the shop & I've wished I had that extra 16" exactly zero times. During the 15 years or so I had the 52" fence I only used the extra width a few times. Doing a 52" rip on a 4' wide sheet of ply gets a little dicey anyway.

Bill, I see you've got the ICS mobile base, which I have as well. It's a thing of beauty isn't it?

Nice setup.

Just curius if the MFT lines up height wise as an outfeed table or was the MFT modified. Tempted to pick one up to use as an outfeed table/ TS setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Nice setup and I bet it will work great for your space. Cutting down fences is a popular way to make things fit better.
    Thanks, news to me, I didn't find much when I googled doing this modification to this saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Nice job. My shop is getting constricted since part of the garage is being taken for additional interior square footage. I may have to do something similar to my 36" PCS but hoping not to - will come down to how much space I want on either side of the saw to move around freely.
    Honestly, I can probably go even smaller, go for it. walk around space and overall shop comfort is more important than rip capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, I think it's a rare circumstance that most woodworkers need large rip capacities to the right of the blade on their table saws and that's become even more the norm with the proliferation of track saws of various flavors that let folks cut down sheet goods without having to have a gorilla or two to help lift and move the sheets. I did similar with my slider to get more actual shop space so I could use the tool more effectively. Good job on this tool modification!
    Thanks, those sliders are real cool, I have never used one, so I didn't even really consider them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Very creative! Nice work. Looks like it will do a fine job for you.
    Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    I bought the SS with the long rails. Total waste of space. I've cut the rails down twice now, and currently have about 30" of rip capacity. I don't think I've ever ripped more than 24" (for base cabinets). Anything bigger than that is usually for rough construction work (subfloor, etc), which doesn't require furniture-accurate cuts... and I just use my track saw since cutting sheets that big on the table saw is really not much fun.

Anyway, good on you. I think you made a good choice, and given that you have a track saw, I'll be surprised if you miss the rip capacity you gave up.
    Thanks, so much my only regret is not cutting it down a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by John Petsche View Post
    Nice idea, and great saw!
    Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I have a smaller shop with 104 square feet. Our two car garage is at the side and can be used for temporary work.

My Makita contractor saw gives me 25" rip capacity and I use my skillsaw to break panels. I use a conventional 7 1/4" saw and a heavy duty aluminium profiled bar I purchased almost 30 years ago as a guide for the saw.

It has worked well for me for 25+ years!
    I hope I get that much use out of my saw

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The industrial base is a huge help with the saw to move it around.
    It's fantastic, so happy I got it

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Nice modification.

I cut my General 650 to have a rip capacity of 32 inches from 50 inches.

It made a huge difference in shop space.............Regards, Rod.
    Great mod,

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Bill, you did what I would have done if I had purchased a SS.

I considered the the 36" with the upgraded fence. I also wanted the sliding attachment. To add the latter, and bring it closer to the blade, the fence would have needed to be cut away on the left of the blade (as well as to the right, if I wanted to shorten it there). All that made me pause and re-consider the whole deal.

My options were the SS or a Hammer K3. In the end I went for the latter. One of the features of the latter I sought was its compactness. I was not prepared to cut down the SS. Glad it worked out for you.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks, the K3 is a nice looking machine, I have always been intrigued with sliders, but iv'e never used one, so I don't feel comfortable buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I went from a Jet contractor saw with a 52" Biesmeyer to a SawStop with 36" T-glide. Fits much better in the shop & I've wished I had that extra 16" exactly zero times. During the 15 years or so I had the 52" fence I only used the extra width a few times. Doing a 52" rip on a 4' wide sheet of ply gets a little dicey anyway.

Bill, I see you've got the ICS mobile base, which I have as well. It's a thing of beauty isn't it?
    The ICS base is amazing, by far the best mobile base.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Cronk View Post
    Nice setup.

Just curius if the MFT lines up height wise as an outfeed table or was the MFT modified. Tempted to pick one up to use as an outfeed table/ TS setup.
    I have the Industrial mobile base from SawStop, I layered plywood onto it so it's just above the MFT so I can use the MFT as an outfeed table. Without the Mobile base and plywood, the MFT is taller than the Sawstop PCS

If 25" rip is all you need, your modification made sense.

The modification, unless it could be reversed, naturally would affect its resale value, which probably wasn't a factor of consideration for you.

Simon