Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radial Arm Saw Evaluation/Recommecdation Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    I also have mine set for 9o degree cuts only. With 1/4" steel rod and turnbuckles. Awesome as it stays accurate year round and you cant bump it out of square.
    I was trying to remember who's idea I stole on the turnbuckles. Thanks, BTW.

Speaking of my RN450, she may have bit the dust today. I'll find out in the morning as I ran out of time to play with it this afternoon before Dad duties took over.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    Make sure the ways are clean and all of the bearings roll before you check the ways. Sticky bearings and built up crud in the ways can make it seem like there are problems that do not exist, and can hide problems that do exist.

Unfortunately I did clean the ways completely with acetone and cleaned the bearings off. It wasn't until I cleaned that I noticed the play. sigh. I think it's close enough that it will work for me, but we will see. Such a bummer, but it's on me for not doing my diligence.

What I like about the Graule is I can trust it to cut square in both directions without constant checking or adjustment. The stops are positive and every component is heavy built where it counts. The accuracy is possible because head does not swivel for ripping as is typical for most RAS but I would never use this feature anyway. It probably miters in both directions accurately but easier for us to cut any miters on the sliding table saw. It has a large scale for miters but have never tried it.
    Biggest drawback to this saw is that it cannot take a dado. Graule makes a trenching saw separately. On the rare occasion we need a cross dado from above I knock the little Dewalt into square and hope for the best.

I think the Omga would shine if you need both trenching and accurate crosscut in one machine. When we toured shops in the U.K. Most were using Omga or similar Italian saws for this. Some had separate trenching saws.
    26C6F443-B864-4786-A482-B5CE35E6F856.jpg
    0E80F7AD-E18C-467C-B8B3-33EECEE75E57.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 09-19-2017 at 8:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    This is the reason I never recommended the dewalts . I only recommend the Delta And the Wadkin Bursgreen as they both have drill rod for the Ways that can be rotated to accommodate ware . So it's not a matter of having to find out in the field it's a matter of it being a better design .
    Not all of the Deltas had the rod and concave bearings. My turret saw had concave ways machined into the casting and conical bearings. No easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Speaking of my RN450, she may have bit the dust today.
    22yrs old and still spinning like a dusty top. L3 went out on an aftermarket switch. I won't cuss OMGA today.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Not all of the Deltas had the rod and concave bearings. My turret saw had concave ways machined into the casting and conical bearings. No easy fix.

Did not know that Larry. mine is from the 1950s so i just thought they all were . I do use the yoke to rotate the head from time to time and i don't find any play there .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAOBA1l...nglishmachines
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 09-20-2017 at 9:12 AM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    Did not know that Larry. mine is from the 1950s so i just thought they all were . I do use the yoke to rotate the head from time to time and i don't find any play there .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAOBA1l...nglishmachines
    I wonder if the rod and concave bearings were a later solution to the problem that I had? Would have been very simple for the factory to add rods to the same machining and change to concave bearings. Mine was OLD. Not sure what year, but when I was a little kid it was in the yard we used, and it was old then.

That yard had common brick walls. Stuck so far in one wall that you could not pull it out was an oak 2x2. The story was that the saw I ended up with put that piece in the brick when a rip job went wrong. They cut it off a bit but left it in the wall as a reminder that the saw was dangerous. I bought a Delta 12/14 at the same auction. Was sad to see the place close down, hometown lumber yard for over 100 years and all. Miss that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I wonder if the rod and concave bearings were a later solution to the problem that I had? Would have been very simple for the factory to add rods to the same machining and change to concave bearings. Mine was OLD. Not sure what year, but when I was a little kid it was in the yard we used, and it was old then.

That yard had common brick walls. Stuck so far in one wall that you could not pull it out was an oak 2x2. The story was that the saw I ended up with put that piece in the brick when a rip job went wrong. They cut it off a bit but left it in the wall as a reminder that the saw was dangerous. I bought a Delta 12/14 at the same auction. Was sad to see the place close down, hometown lumber yard for over 100 years and all. Miss that place.
    It sure is not the way of the world anymore Larry. The Wadkin Bursgreen have a riving knife for ripping .

not that i use mine for ripping . thought it is the only one i have seen with it .

the old way for major operation was a brake down area. lots of material when through daily

here is an old set up with The Wadkin CC and CD cross cut saws. theses are a serious bit of kit

i have the trenching heads for these and there lovely .

i picked up a few of theses with 4 sets of 18" dado stacks for a few hundred(tooling paid for the lots ) a couple a years ago found all the missing parts for the best one of them and have moved one on to a timber framer.

jack
    English machines