Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radial Arm Saw Evaluation/Recommecdation Needed

Radial Arm Saw Evaluation/Recommecdation Needed

I am trying to help my brother find a replacement for a Craftsman that he says is a piece of ####. Well you know.

He is looking at this one (OMGA RN 450) which I am not familiar with. Any thoughts or recommendations are much appreciated. The saw is used in a production environment. Is this a good choice? Anyone have this saw that can offer user experience?

Can be purchased here: http://www.hermance.com/Industrial/N...Radial-Arm-Saw

Thanks for your help.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I'm not familiar with OMGA though I know they have a good reputation. But the price is outrageous in my mind. You can find lots of old RAS for a few hundred dollars. I've seen beautiful resto's on here for less than $1K. Even if you have to put a few new bearings in really good saw, as long as the arm is straight and has no defects where the bearings ride and the motor is good, you should be well under $1500 all in.

John

There are 3 on WoodWeb's machinery exchange; two less than $1K. There are so many on C-List within 300 miles of me that I can't count them all; several really nice old Dewalts, all well under $1k.
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 09-15-2017 at 3:57 PM.

Those Omga's are pretty decent, put a few new ones together. Rather have a nice old dewalt, wadkin or danckeart.

I third the recommendation of getting an old one off Craigslist or otherwise locally. I have a 1950s DeWalt MBF that I love, and had a Delta/Rockwell 12-RAS for a year or so quite a while back. I also used my father-in-law's old, cast iron Craftsman. The Delta was decent, but not as simple to use, and the Craftsman was only so so. The savings from buying one of these used is huge, and they typically only need adjustment which is simple, and possibly bearings/carriage guides which are inexpensive to obtain. There is a company online (maybe in Iowa?) that sells reconditioned DeWalts and their parts. I'd suggest going with a pre-1960 DeWalt; an 8-10" if you have a small shop or a 12" if you have a bigger one; if you have massive space and sufficient wiring, one of the ones like they have at Home Depot for cutting lumber would be stellar.

I say an old Dewalt or old Delta Turret arm. I would love to have a long arm GA but I don't have the space. I have settled for a Dewalt 7790/790. Longest arm travel with a cast iron arm without getting into the large saws. I have passed on many large 14" and 16" saws that hade a 24" crosscut for under $300 just because I don't have the room.

I just bought another dewalt tonight. Later model round arm B&D dewalt era, 24" cross cut 16" 5hp 3phase. Really nice saw for under 125 bucks.

I lost count, think I am up to 10 or so.

ive seen that brand in some 50 man shops but they are just used as cross cut saws. Dont think ive seen any of the shops do more than rough cut with radials in the break out area. The old guy said he knew one guy that liked and used radials for different things. He didnt give them any time. Like Darcy ive seen them at auctions for 150.00. The Omgas got more sort of 450.00 - 650.00 was offered two for 250.00 each busy at the time but should have got out and scouped one.

I've heard good things about OMGA. You can definitely find good used ones out there. Buying new would be absurd. I echo what the others say about a DeWalt or Delta. I got my 18" 7.5HP 3PH Delta for $350. I only put a 15" blade on due to the cost of an 18". Any of the mentioned ideas will be much better than the Craftsman.

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1460-1.jpg

OMGA is not in the same category as the saws described. It is an industrial quality machine with a higher powered motor and much better quality bearings. Yes, you can buy any of the saws listed, they aren't the same quality machine. I don't have one, have used two, wish I had one

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    I am trying to help my brother find a replacement for a Craftsman that he says is ...
    I used a 10 Craftsman RAS for years and I thought it was excellent. I had no problems, crosscut, rip, dados, shaper head, drum sander, horizontal drilling. I used it to build a shop, furniture, grandfather clock, lots of things for house and kids.

You didn't mention what problem he had. Maybe his is worn out, broken, a newer junky one, needs alignment, or needs a sharp blade, drilling. Perhaps he just needs some instruction. I don't use mine any more since I have too many tools and not enough room. Anyone who wants to come after it can have it. I think it is a 1970 or so model currently wired for 110v.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim OConnor View Post
    OMGA is not in the same category as the saws described. It is an industrial quality machine with a higher powered motor and much better quality bearings. Yes, you can buy any of the saws listed, they aren't the same quality machine. I don't have one, have used two, wish I had one
    Their chop saws are very nice, their RAS, meh. They don't come close to an older round arm dewalt, wadkin, unipoint, etc.

I own a '95 OMGA RN450. Bought it for $300 on auction. She was well used when I got it. I have it set up for 90* cuts only and cables tied to the wall with cables and turnbuckles (an idea I robbed from another member's picture). It's a 4hp 1~ machine and serves me well. It needs to be rewound, but if I stand on one foot and don't look it directly in the eye, it spins up every time.

If he is buying new, he can't go wrong. I would prefer to be able to spin one up before buying used again. Mine has paid for itself a 10 times over in the 3 years I've owned it.
    -Lud

I have an Omga RM 700, replaced a 18" delta with it, Hands down better saw than the old iron. Has served me well for 20 years and never broken. there are 8 bearings in a cross pattern running on replaceable SS ways. a much better system that the conical bearings on the old Delta. I needed the extended reach as well as needed the accuracy, and it did what I wanted.

Comparing a junkyard CL saw to an OMGA just shows a lack of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have an Omga RM 700, replaced a 18" delta with it, Hands down better saw than the old iron. Has served me well for 20 years and never broken. there are 8 bearings in a cross pattern running on replaceable SS ways. a much better system that the conical bearings on the old Delta. I needed the extended reach as well as needed the accuracy, and it did what I wanted.

Ok, sure. Never mind assembling new ones out of the crate and setting them up for people. The chop saws are great, never found anything special with their RAS for me to think they were better or would out last a dewalt, wadkin, unipoint, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

I had a chance to set up and run a Omga at the shop in Bhutan last year Larry. They are nice saws and while I was there it maintained accuracy. I had a couple old big Dewalts and could never get them accurate enough for joinery work and only used them for rough cutoff.
    My favorite radial is the Graule we now have. It cuts as square as our Martin slider and can cut 5 1/2" thick. We use the little Dewalt for rough cutoff to save the blade on the Graule.
    IMG_1350.jpg