Thread: supply storage?

supply storage?

waiting for my laser to arrive. Getting preps and supplies ready. Just in thinking the various woods and all sorts of colored acrylics.....what is everyone using to store any extras that you have?
    I'm envisioning a shelving system with shelves only about 4 inches apart.

I don't have my laser yet either but I would envision vertical storage for sheet goods. Easier to access and sort through in my opinion. At least for rigid materials.

If you are storing cut sheet material, I encourage you to come up with a system that minimizes warping of the material. Most plastic suppliers store vertically. In the past I have envisioned something that allows vertical storage but with movable dividers so you could always "press" the dividers up against the material so it was supported and not sagging.

If you are storing cut sheet material flat, makes sure your surface is really flat. My concrete basement floor is not and resulted in some warped material because of the heavy stack. I bought some 16" square concrete tiles from the home improvement store that were flat and not going to bend under a lot of weight. One on the bottom for a flat stacking surface and one on top to keep everything pressed flat with its 37 lbs of weight.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 09-15-2017 at 5:39 PM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Ain't pretty but that's life -- The 3 horizontal shelves will hold 24x48" sheets, all I keep on them is the 1/32" stuff since it's so flimsy. Everything else, I stand up. I never have a warpage problem because I stand it nearly straight up, and I go thru it so fast it doesn't have time to warp.
    storage.jpg
    This picture could act as a learning tool to those who want to start a laser engraving business with a $500 machine...
    just what you see - and can't quite see- in this pic, is:
    about 3 full sheets on each of the 3 shelves,
    at least 5 full sheets plus 3 sheets worth of remnants standing up,
    2 sheets of black/clear on the other side of the beam,
    and 3 sheets of 1/8" material out of view just past the vacuum cleaner...
    This represents roughly $1800 worth of Rowmark stock-- and I spend at least $200 a week replacing what I use up.

The machine is only the beginning!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We use pallet racking and have setup small spacers to hold flimsy goods . We mainly work with plywood ranging from 1/8" - 1", if you work with any kind of wood make sure its flat and only cut it when your ready to use it. I would suggest waiting until you get your machine before stocking up to much on supplies.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Laminated plastics should be stored flat. Metals can be stored vertically or flat. I do both with my miscellaneous stuff stored vertically and my higher volume stuff stored flat. I'll post some pictures when I clean up my mess.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We store everything horizontally on these racks. Metal, plastic, and acrylic.
    Racks.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Mine looks just like Brian's with fewer shelves. I buy only quarter sheet sizes unless I have a job that calls for something larger.

Typically, you don't need a big variety of metal but in my case, I do sublimation as well so that increases my requirement.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Just ordered one of these, shelves are 900 x 600mm, which is just about right for my sheet material.

Not sure if the the young lady comes with it or not.

IMG_0616.JPG
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

My plastic storage is a replica of Brian's but for metal, I bought two steel racks from Menard's for $20 each. I discarded the legs of one unit and used all the shelves in one rack. Works well, doesn't take up much space, and was cheap.

The boxes are JDS that the metal came in.

I have a firm policy--Don't buy any materials until you need them. Yes, after 20 years I know what I'm going to need and that's all I keep on hand.

shelving.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-18-2017 at 4:21 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I bought something very similar from HD a few years back, very heavy plastic and very strong, there great for storing small sheets of BB, wood plaques, acrylic and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    Just ordered one of these, shelves are 900 x 600mm, which is just about right for my sheet material.

Not sure if the the young lady comes with it or not.

IMG_0616.JPG
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

For some of the more 'at hand' items I use a storage cabinet that my laser sits on:

Blog 009.JPG
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"