Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned from taking a direct hit by a Cat 5 Hurricane- ground zero, USVI

I appreciate your post and all your great tips. It occurred to me a few days back that there seemed to be plenty of money going to TX and FL but none going to USVI and Puerto Rico. I found, after some searching, waht appeared to be a good site where I could make a donation. The pictures from the USVI are painful to see.

The islands need help.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Wow! Looking at the forecast for Maria, it looks like you may have to put all those lessons to work again sooner rather than later. Shut us off and go prepare. (I assume you already have begun and are hard at it again without needing our suggestion.)

God speed. We all hope you won't have a "next chapter" on Maria to report.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I appreciate your post and all your great tips. It occurred to me a few days back that there seemed to be plenty of money going to TX and FL but none going to USVI and Puerto Rico. I found, after some searching, waht appeared to be a good site where I could make a donation. The pictures from the USVI are painful to see.

The islands need help.
    If you've found a site that isn't a scam, please share a link. Most of what I've seen seem to have a bit of uncertainty, at least.
    Jim Waldron

Go to msnbc.com and they have a link to a site.

I called Catholic Relief but they didn't have a specifically directed fund for the USVI.

We generally don't post fundraising info on SMC as we don't recommend such sites as a matter of policy.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for sharing your story! Glad you and your family are well! Great advice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Thank you for sharing this Malcolm and I'm very happy that you and yours remained safe throughout. I hope the rebuilding goes smoothly and things return to normal.
    I wonder how long that will take? And how soon till tourists can return? Much of the economy there must rely on tourism so I'd guess the island would welcome visitors as soon as possible?
    It would be cool if somehow a 'working' vacation could be set up. I would enjoy going to a beautiful place and putting in a days work.
    That has been discussed. If you want to work, I can surely find work fixing homes- but first we have to get a supply ship in.

Blog Entries

The islands need help.
    this is where I volunteer and they are feeding 500 people per day and will be helping rebuild homes. Very legit.
    http://www.mybrothersworkshop.org

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Wow! Looking at the forecast for Maria, it looks like you may have to put all those lessons to work again sooner rather than later. Shut us off and go prepare. (I assume you already have begun and are hard at it again without needing our suggestion.)

God speed. We all hope you won't have a "next chapter" on Maria to report.
    We had a family meeting today and also showed our new guest the safe room and the game plan. We are fine here, but St. Croix has been our lifeline and now they are getting hit. Here is an image that will make you sick, James.

image.jpeg

Malcolm

One thing, and you probably have it on your list, a serious first aid kit.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

9. Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    this is where I volunteer and they are feeding 500 people per day and will be helping rebuild homes. Very legit.
    http://www.mybrothersworkshop.org

We had a family meeting today and also showed our new guest the safe room and the game plan. We are fine here, but St. Croix has been our lifeline and now they are getting hit. [snip]
    Thanks for the link. I plan to use it for what I can afford. I hope others will too.

Don't be too sanguine about it being St. Croix' turn with Maria. It's too early to be comfortable with that narrow a forecast. You are still in the "cone." We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you around Wednesday.

MariaThreat.gif
    Click this!

Take care.
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Malcolm

One thing, and you probably have it on your list, a serious first aid kit.
    Most certainly!!! I guess I took that for granted, being married to a nurse. Our house is stocked up like an ER. Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully all of us woodworkers have big first aid kits. FYI- the main injuries they are seeing at the ER are glass and nails in feet, and compression injuries from people trying to grab shutters that came open during the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Thanks for the link. I plan to use it for what I can afford. I hope others will too.

Don't be too sanguine about it being St. Croix' turn with Maria. It's too early to be comfortable with that narrow a forecast. You are still in the "cone." We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you around Wednesday.

MariaThreat.gif
    Click this!

Take care.
    We are actually almost hoping it hits us and spares STX because we are depending on STX for relief, and we flew all our patients there. Either way, you couldn't write a worse disaster story. Even Stephen King couldn't make this horror story up.

Blog Entries
    IMG_2125.PNG

You really could not write a more horrible story.

12. It didn't take long to blow up to Cat 5. It looks to be big enough now that both you and St. Croix will likely get hammered.

Our hopes and prayers for you, your family and your entire island. All we can do in the next couple of days is wait to hear from you when you can spare us the time and attention and can get through.
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Haha. Your tag line of fair winds and following seas isn't working very well right now. About to turn off the generator for a bit. (A friend boated to Puerto Rico and brought me one.) Will hope to have net after the storm. First rain bands arriving.

IMG_2126.jpg

Malcolm,
    Your a hero, a great father and husband. You are in my prayers.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Our prayers are with you, Godspeed Malcolm.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)