Thread: Brilliance or another of my dumb ideas?

Lightbulb Brilliance or another of my dumb ideas?

I just came into possession of a metal office desk that may make a fine addition to my new, soon to be work shop.
    The top is 48X30 and glossy hard board.

I had ideas.
    Outfeed table for my table saw.
    Haven't checked the height. May have to find a way to raise it and put casters for moving around.

I have drawers to organize things.
    The open space where you would put your legs could be storage.
    Maybe a shop vac.

Another (uncluttered) work bench.

The possibilities are endless.

What do you think?

I will be fine if you tell me this is one of the dumbest ideas you ever heard.

I've seen folks make work benches out of a lotta stuff. If it works for you, it doesnt seem dumb to me (especially as a secondary bench). Seems like that top might not take a lotta banging on, but you could retrofit something better. Plus, if you put a thicker top on it you could add a big vise - my Dad and I did that at his house. Or, leave as-is and it might make a nice assembly table it's flat enough.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    I just came into possession of a metal office desk...
    I will be fine if you tell me this is one of the dumbest ideas you ever heard.
    I grab these desks when I find them, auctions, freebees. I used one for years as an extra computer table in my graphics studio. Two went to a son for his new house. One is in my storage building waiting for me to remodel the craft room in the house.

An outfeed table sounds like a great idea if you have the space. If too short, maybe some rollers on top. If too high, maybe cut off the legs. If too big maybe cut it in two and put some legs on one half. Another work bench is always useful, maybe cover with solid wood. Even could be used [gasp] as a desk! I have two desks in my shop office, fantastic when working on sketches, using a microscope, rebuilding a carburetor, giving shots to a cat.

JKJ

Thanks for your feedbacks.

This top is very hard.
    It's like a melanine but harder and glossy smooth.

I don't have the space but if I put rollers on it, It can go out of the way.
    And store under it.
    Tried to get a pic but my camera doesn't seem to want to work

I like the idea,too. I've wondered if the old under the top typewriter holding ones could accommodate some kind of electric shop tool.

If it is like my freebie metal desk, the top surface is Formica. I made mine into a sanding and all purpose table. I cut down a sheet of 3/4" particle board to a couple inches larger than the leg span, put regular casters under it with brakes, and wrapped 1x2 around the edge so the table cannot slide off the PB. The particle board makes a shelf, that I put a shop vac on for my random orbit sanders, as well as whatever else needs storing.

I frequently use it to stack pieces of work in progress, like rails, stiles, etc.

Works great, you can even wheel it out to the driveway to move lumber.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, thanks for the idea on the platform on wheels.
    I would have come up with some Rube Goldberg idea.

I'd still like to be able to raise and lower it, maybe, so I could use it as an outfeed.

Here's what I'm talking about

desk.jpg

Repurposing is a great way to save money and keep stuff out of landfill sites. My workbench base is an old harvest table found in the shed of our old house, my assembly table top is an old kitchen island top and I use an old metal 4 drawer file cabinet for storage. Not sure if it reaches the level of brilliance but still a good idea. Go for it!

This is what I have currently...... old metal desk lifted to outfeed height with casters and 2 3/4" sheets of plywood laminated together to make a huge 4x8 work surface.
    Is my interm bench / assembly table till I build that one I have been designing in my head