Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 102

Thread: They're baaack

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    twomiles from the "peak of Ohio
    Posts
    5,141
    Bad set. I haven't found that problem on either of the sets I have.
    IMG_1944 (640x480).jpg
    YMMV

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Dublin, CA
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Bad set. I haven't found that problem on either of the sets I have.
    IMG_1944 (640x480).jpgYMMV
    When we're seeing here is the finest machining and QA that $7 can buy.

    They're probably machining these chisels before heat treatment (like Narex) as doing so is much cheaper than post-machining, but leads to greater dimensional variation due to warping during heat-treating. They're probably also machining very rapidly and therefore hot to keep their tool utilization up, which leads to further variation when the tool cools. Some sets will be greatly impacted (as were Pat's) while others may be fairly straight (Steven's). That's OK, though, because they're probably not doing any QA, so they won't suffer any yield loss as a result. Your mileage will indeed vary.

    I have no doubt that these chisels will be perfectly serviceable for everybody who bought them, but you have to be cognizant of what you are (and aren't) paying for. At less than $2 each they're cheap even compared to other pre-machined chisels (Narex etc) so you're getting a bargain regardless.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-20-2017 at 6:01 PM.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    OK. I found another Aldi's and the y had some left. First - the good news - they had 3 sets. Now the bad news - I bought 2 of them. LOL

    First impression: Backs are not close to flat. I figured they wouldn't be perfect, but putting two back to back leaves a gap of 1/16 to 1/8 inches between them (concave warpage on the back of each chisel - the number I stated = eyeballed not measured; is the biggest gap between any two chisels and yes, they are all warped). This is much more of a banana than I expected. I wonder if I could straighten these suckers out in a vise with a bit of a pull or not. I can't see any use in trying to grind this out.

    Thoughts anyone?
    Perhaps the worst that are beyond repair for use as chisels can be ground into scrapers, the way Bill Carter does?

    Simon

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,530
    The four from the one package are definitely warped - someone had commented earlier that they weren't warped - it was the grinding. They are concave on the back and convex on the front (bevel side). I can squeeze the two smaller ones together with my fingers and close up the gap between them so they aren't overly stiff. I am hopeful that they can be straightened up a wee bit though. Maybe have time Saturday to try that - if so I'll report back. Also will open the second package and check those 4 out.
    AldiChisels.jpg

  5. #65
    There's a warranty sheet in the package. Let's see what their customer service is like : ) I somehow doubt Mr. Lee is worrying......

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Dublin, CA
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The four from the one package are definitely warped - someone had commented earlier that they weren't warped - it was the grinding. They are concave on the back and convex on the front (bevel side).
    If they're that far out then it's more likely the fact that grinding was done before hardening/tempering than the grinding itself.

    It's sort of a package deal, though, as the reason to grind before HT is because it saves a lot of machine time and money. Grinding in the annealed state is faster both because the metal is softer and because you don't have to worry about detempering, so you can run really hot, though that creates even *more* deformation. It's a vicious cycle :-).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-20-2017 at 10:34 PM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not far enough from Chicago
    Posts
    766
    They're $1.75 chisels!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    They're $1.75 chisels!
    They look like chisels. The handles look sturdy. I hope they work reasonably well and don't end up as paint can openers.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    twomiles from the "peak of Ohio
    Posts
    5,141
    It is not like these are $80 a piece chisels.....

    I have been using the first set AS paring chisels....the 8mm for the few mortises that are that size. I can trim tenons simply by "driving" the chisel with my chin, while watching as I go. Peels end grain shoulders quite nicely that way.

    Unlike Sellers, I use a flat bevel on mine. His is a more rounded shape....

    IF someone want "perfect" chisels right out of the package....sorry, but that kind of chisel does not come in a blister pack. They are what they are....just decent, work-a-day bench chisels. Don't like the handles??? Make yours to suit YOU. These seem to fit my hands just fine. Would love to see Mr. Lee come out with a set at this price point.....doubt if he can...

  10. Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    It is not like these are $80 a piece chisels.....

    I have been using the first set AS paring chisels....the 8mm for the few mortises that are that size. I can trim tenons simply by "driving" the chisel with my chin, while watching as I go. Peels end grain shoulders quite nicely that way.

    Unlike Sellers, I use a flat bevel on mine. His is a more rounded shape....

    IF someone want "perfect" chisels right out of the package....sorry, but that kind of chisel does not come in a blister pack. They are what they are....just decent, work-a-day bench chisels. Don't like the handles??? Make yours to suit YOU. These seem to fit my hands just fine. Would love to see Mr. Lee come out with a set at this price point.....doubt if he can...


    Oooh, the gauntlet is thrown.
    So what'll it be, Rob? Pigstickers at 20 paces?

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Oooh, the gauntlet is thrown.
    So what'll it be, Rob? Pigstickers at 20 paces?
    They wouldn't be under the Veritas brand or made in this part of the world, would they?! Haha.

    Simon

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    twomiles from the "peak of Ohio
    Posts
    5,141
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Oooh, the gauntlet is thrown.
    So what'll it be, Rob? Pigstickers at 20 paces?
    Only in your mind, my young padewan, only in your mind...

    biggie.jpg
    The force is strong, with this one....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-21-2017 at 8:40 PM.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Adjacent Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Posts
    470
    Just bought the last set at the local store (far NW Chicagoland) and hope for the best. $7.53 for package of four.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    twomiles from the "peak of Ohio
    Posts
    5,141
    Must be one whale of a sales tax up that way.....

    Was beginning to wonder if anyone has used these chisels yet....

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Dublin, CA
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Must be one whale of a sales tax up that way.....

    Was beginning to wonder if anyone has used these chisels yet....
    Let's be honest with ourselves: We GAS-afflicted hoarders do not accumulate knick-nacks like these because we have any real intention to *use* them.

    "They're for when my buddies visit, so they don't hose my good chisels. Yeah, that's the ticket!"
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-26-2017 at 7:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •