Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: They're baaack

Good point, Simon. Aldi's U.S. headquarters is less than a mile from my house. They source their merchandise just like any grocery store would, meaning they don't import from Germany. I believe it was Paul Sellers who originally was so high on these chisels and the early ones were made in Germany, which is part of the EU just the same as the UK is. I think the answer to your question would be for PS to evaluate the Aldi chisels we get here. Unfortunately, he has no business presence in the U.S. and no longer travels here. I do know that the Stanley utility knife that he touts as a marking knife is different from the one that Stanley sells here. The chisels are substantially the same; certainly in appearance; and the drawbacks of their suitability for hand tool users go beyond the quality of the steel. He does quite a bit of handle modification, if I remember correctly.

Regarding "loaner" tools: How come my neighbors want to borrow my best tools; not my worst? If I handed them my Aldi chisel, their answer would be "Really?"
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 09-18-2017 at 12:49 PM.

These Aldi chisels were never made in Germany. They were always made in a China and imported/distributed by a German company whose information was printed on the bottom side of the chisels. Some years ago, Paul Sellers did get some of the US distributed Aldi chisels to compare and he said they were identical to the ones he's been using in his schools in the UK.

I've just finished flattening and sharpening two sets of the 2017 US Aldi chisels (one set for me and one for my son-in-law), and these new 2017 chisels are different. They no longer have the German importer/distributor's name on the back; they now say imported by Aldi US, and the machining seems to be a even bit less finished from what I can tell from pictures of the earlier chisels (I don't have any to compare). Two of the eight chisels have very deep "hollow" grinds across the backs (they are almost arched in profile), but they are all flattening and sharpening well. I haven't put them to any use to see how well they hold up. It will take some time to know that.

I have a 2 year old set, and the latest set......might do a side by side thing....IF anyone would be interested....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I have a 2 year old set, and the latest set......might do a side by side thing....IF anyone would be interested....
    I certainly would.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 09-18-2017 at 5:51 PM.

I would be interested, too!

Ok, might get a bit wordy..here goes...
    IMG_1941 (640x480).jpg
    Took them out of the package, and tossed the plastic edge protectors....Set eacn size beside the older version
    IMG_1940 (640x426).jpg
    This was also in the package.....1 year warrantee....
    IMG_1942 (640x480).jpg
    Both have been honed to 2000 grit....the area I did not like?
    IMG_1944 (640x480).jpg
    The area I did not care for?
    IMG_1943 (640x480).jpg
    Almost like firmer chisels.....those edges will slice a finger....
    Another difference between the old and new chisels..
    IMG_1949 (640x480).jpg
    Older chisel is the lower one. Note how much more blade I have to work with. Not sure IF this is for a finger grip....
    IMG_1946.jpg
    Both sets, side by side. Already sharpened up to 2000 grit. Backs are all flat.

Blades on the new chisels have a clear coat....easy enough to wire wheel off.
    Widths are the same. Handles feel the same. So far, so good. I was peeling a bit of curly maple of the panel laying there. Didn't seem to bother the edges of the new chisels...I was going across the grain, at a bevel. Panel will get a beveled edge there later, anyway.

Anyone want those plastic edge guards? before I throw them out?

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the handles don't look like the same species of wood. Old ones are clearly ash, with a big, bold grain.

New wood vs old, well used wood....same wood looks like.

The only Aldi near me is a grocery store!

The two batches of chisels look slightly different (may also be due to the angles of the shots) and from their looks, Aldi has likely got their latest chisels from a different factory. Small factories in China come and go quickly; it is also easy to find or be approached by another factory that can beat the first one in price. Chisels are low tech stuff to them.

Established importers usually have resident QC people in China to work for them to ensure the quality of their goods before they leave the factories. If Aldi has such arrangement in place, the quality of different batches of chisels can be better kept even if the manufacturer has changed.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-18-2017 at 7:46 PM.

Pat, the Aldi chisels are sold at Aldi grocery stores. That's all they have in the U.S.

Just went back to the shop...and took a look at the grain....older chisels have a coarser look to the grain, fewer growth rings. New handles have a lot more growth rings, and has ray flecks.

Hmm...we've had three of the four sets out thus far, and with 8 tools tweaked, no clear coat on any of the blades, other than the usual rust preventative slime quickly removed with naphtha. Felt pretty much like the older Marples in terms of how the blade prepped, sharpened, and cut. Edge retention was what I expected - about what an older Marples bench chisel or old Blue Chips give you. I chopped out some pins in hard maple and QSWO...they dulled about as much as I'd expect. I have A2 for stupid-hard stuff and abrasives, but these will do a decent job in what most furniture-oriented folks will likely work in most of the time.

Prep takes less time than the 1970's Two Cherries I prefer for GP bench chisels. Grinding was even but very rough, but it can be cleaned up with some effort, and working the bevel edges and face makes things a little prettier. There is def some labor in getting the Aldi chisels tuned, and even more if modding the handles, but these are tools for people with far more time than money.

VPA and FSC cert on packaging and handles...I suspect Seller's confusion on the Made in Germany was likely some sort of inspection/cert statement on the packaging. While I am spring-loaded to doubt the recommendations of those that make their living selling books, video courses and time machines, Sellers appears to have called this one correctly.

+3. Please do.

Just went back to the shop...and took a look at the grain....older chisels have a coarser look to the grain, fewer growth rings. New handles have a lot more growth rings, and has ray flecks.
    Possibly oak?