Thread: How to modify soapstone range cutout in place?

How to modify soapstone range cutout in place?

About 15 years ago we had a carpenter install soapstone countertops. The attraction was that he could fabricate them on site with diamond-blade woodworking tools. Now, 15 years later, our slide-in gas range is puttering out, and the new one we've ordered requires a cutout about an inch deeper than the range we've got. There's about 4" of soapstone behind the current range, connected to a counter-depth piece to the right of the range, making an "L" shape, if you see what I mean. We need to make the narrow leg of the "L" about 3" deep rather than about 4". Would there be a reasonable way to do that in place, or will be have to remove that piece of countertop, cut it (outside, I suppose), and then reinstall? If it can be done in place, any idea how? Router? Dremmel? Etc. Thanks for any thoughts.

Soapstone is soft enough to be cut with woodworking tools. Search the web for tips.

just pay someone to come do it it wont cost much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sullivan View Post
    About 15 years ago we had a carpenter install soapstone countertops. The attraction was that he could fabricate them on site with diamond-blade woodworking tools. Now, 15 years later, our slide-in gas range is puttering out, and the new one we've ordered requires a cutout about an inch deeper than the range we've got. There's about 4" of soapstone behind the current range, connected to a counter-depth piece to the right of the range, making an "L" shape, if you see what I mean. We need to make the narrow leg of the "L" about 3" deep rather than about 4". Would there be a reasonable way to do that in place, or will be have to remove that piece of countertop, cut it (outside, I suppose), and then reinstall? If it can be done in place, any idea how? Router? Dremmel? Etc. Thanks for any thoughts.
    Do-able in place with an angle grinder and diamond cutting wheel. Will make a hell of a lot of dust so have someone flood with water as you go.

You might be able to do this with an oscillating multi-tool and a few carbide blades.
    Won't be fast or dust free but certainly much much less dust than with a grinder.

Tape the top (so you can see your cut line) - mark your line and cut away.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Angle grinder and diamond blade. In the past I have used a cardboard box. Cut a hole in the bottom leaving a little of the bottom for strength. Make a window with Saran Wrap tapped over the hole. Cut arm holes in one end. Cut an opening for your shop vac hose out of the way of your work. Not perfect but will make it a lot less dusty.
    Jom

The soapstone fabricators used normal heavy duty woodworking tools for the work...and a worm-drive saw with a carbide blade to do the cutouts. But they did the cutting out on the driveway...so however you choose to do this, be sure you take into account the level of stone dust you're going to generate!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Be aware the dust probably has a good amount of asbestos in it. harbor freight has a 4" wet diamond saw for about $40. But the water will flood everything, no way to use it inside. I suppose a helper with a wet vac might keep the leaks down.
    Bill

If I read your original question correctly it is a small cut you need to make. I would experiment with a jig saw and a heavy duty metal cutting blade as it would reduce the amount of dust going everywhere.

dry cutting stone could cause heat and cracking. this may not be a problem with soap stone since it is used for wood stoves.

Rigid tools make a saw for cutting cement board that does a very good job of collecting dust. I've used mine to score cement slabs for working under foundations. It's not going to do catch all the dust, but results for me were less messy than flouring chicken in my kitchen.

I fabricated my own soapstone counters in my house. Used a tracksaw with a diamond blade for most of the cuts and a jig saw to finish the corners of the sink cutout. Then a router with a carbide round over bit for the edges It cut really easy, I was nervous about it before starting but once I got going it was really simple. I cut them all right in the kitchen too with the vac hooked up to the track saw.