Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black cherry for turning

JKJ - coming from Southern California to visit you in Tenn. would be a trip I'd love to make but I think I'd have a hard time convincing management (aka my wife) it was a worthwhile use of my time.... I'll look you up should I ever get out that way, though!

Keith - one of the easiest ways I have sealed ends is with stretch wrap. Like cling wrap only smaller. Wrap the bejeezus out of the end of the log, very tightly, and its pretty well sealed up. Easy and no mess. Cheap, too

IMG_0544.JPG
    Last edited by Harold Balzonia; 09-18-2017 at 3:44 PM. Reason: Added picture

Speaking of sealers.....Klingspors sells the same thing as the Anchor Seal for a 16.95 per Gal. I buy it when in their Asheville,NC store.They say its the Anchor Seal Seal formula, and I cannot tell the difference. It may be the old Anchor Seal formula, which may have had the patient run out, and so, maybe Anchor modified it slightly for their new "improved" product, Pure conjecture on my part.

And I have used it often on black Cherry logs
    Last edited by Joe Frank Porter; 09-18-2017 at 4:38 PM.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will definitely put off cutting the logs to size for awhile and coat the ends as well. I expect to give away most of the logs to Turners and I would like to protect the logs as best I can.

Harold, I have plenty of stretch wrap in my shop so after I coat the ends I think I will wrap them as well.