Thread: LVLP, gravity feed or pressurized cup?

LVLP, gravity feed or pressurized cup?

I do have a compressor 8.8cfm @ 40psi.
    I do not have the budget for a dedicated turbine.
    This would be used mostly for typical wood finishes, however, I will need to paint an entire set of kitchen cabinets (yet to be built) and do a couple car touch up jobs.

I've been looking at the Qualspray guns.

What I do not fully understand at the pluses and minuses of gravity feed over pressurized cup.

Please guide me in the right direction.

My budget is $300-400.

I've been very happy with my Qualspray gravity feed LVLP gun with 3M PPS used with a mid-range 2 hp compressor. I've sprayed everything, but have experienced minor orange peel spraying waterborne alkyd paint. I might opt for a pressure-assist gravity gun if there is a next time. My nice Fuji Q4 HVLP turbine now sits on the shelf most of the time (though it's more portable).

Call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing and he will advise you on a specific model for your needs.

Everything has its advantages but I would suggest going for a straightforward lvlp gravity gun. Your budget will get you a good quality one. You will be able to spray whatever you want. Cheers

For your budget you could buy the Qualspray AM-6008 pressure assisted HVLP Smartpack with 3M PPS unit I bought. Your compressor has enough output to support it and it has an advantage over the LVLP version in being able to spray a wider fan width. Both are far more versatile unit than a gravity feed gun. You can spray everything from water based dyes to BM Advance with it w/o thinning. You will never spray high viscosity paints with a gravity feed gun w/o substantial thinning, which is not a good thing with WB finishes.

To me there is no advantage of a gravity feed gun other than cost. A pressure assisted gun has the ability to spray a very wide range of viscosities. With the 3M PPS cup you also have the ability to spray at any angle, including upside down. This is a huge benefit to me, being able to spray inside cabinets or the bottom of a stretcher, for example, w/o having to move the piece.

John

I appreciate the feedback. I contacted Homestead a few months back and he suggested the AM-6008 but I thought I would check here, too.

I think the 6008 is the way I'll go. Order that later tonight.