Thread: DeWalt 20 Volt 1/4" Impact Driver (Need feedback, looking to purchase)

DeWalt 20 Volt 1/4" Impact Driver (Need feedback, looking to purchase)

I want to purchase a DeWalt 20 volt 1/4" Impact Driver.
    I have used my friends several times and like it much better than a regular drill.
    My question is there are so many different one's out there with different model numbers.
    What is the difference, if any?
    Sears has one on sale for $99.00 with two batteries, charger, and canvas bag. (DCD 771 C2)
    I like most of you have purchased Craftsman until the quality changed.
    Does anyone know if DeWalt makes a "cheaper" grade for Sears?
    Home Depot has one (DCF 885 C2) with two batteries, charger, belt clip, and bag.
    Theirs is a (XR).
    Does anyone know if the "XR" is a better.
    I appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks,
    Gary

I don't know if there is a difference other than the battery size. I bought a kit that had a smaller battery and then bought a larger capacity battery when needed.

I don't have the 20 volt, but have the 18 volt DeWalt version. Buy the Lithium Ion batteries. Although they cost more, they will give you more working use and will survive 1,000 or more recharges. The Nicad batteries won't last anywhere near as long. You will save money buying the Lithium in the long run. In fact, you may never need replacement batteries.

An impact driver is great for driving and removing screws or smaller nuts and bolts, but since it runs faster, it is not nearly as precise as a drill and bit for driving small screws. They don't substitute well for drilling holes either. You really need both a drill and an impact driver. For remodeling projects, I use the impact driver and screws instead of nails or even a nail gun. I almost never use my framing nailers anymore. If your work involves driving screws into masonry, get the impact drill. It is a forward type of impact rather than a rotational impact like the impact drivers and it will speed hole drilling into masonry. The impact drivers have a rotational impact, which is what gives them the ability to drive and remove screws so well.

Using the impact driver and screws produces a much stronger assembly and the vibration doesn't pop the sheet rock nails in adjacent old work like hammering or even nail guns can do.. It's amazing how easily you can drive or remove the 3 and 4" long black impact screws with one of these impact drivers. You can actually use less screws than nails and still get a stronger joint. They don't split the wood as easily as nails do either. I prefer the square drive bits and screws, but even the Phillips head screws and bit drive easily using an impact driver without the bit popping out of the screw easily. I became a believer in these impact drivers the first that I drove a 4" screw diagonally into two 2 X 10s until the head of the Phillips screw was 1/2" below the surface, then backed it out just as easily.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 09-18-2017 at 10:09 AM.

I have one and use it a lot. Mine is a brush type motor. The 'latest and greatest' is the brushless version. I would recommend buying one of those as the brushes are a wear item and the brushless provides longer run time. A little more money, but worth it, IMO.

I agree with the need for both a drill and driver. But, I've found that battery powered drills (and this applies to all brands)are too slow to properly drill small diameter holes. For that, I use the driver with the special hex shanked bits for that purpose, up to about 3/16".

Drill/driver/battery/charger kits are the best deal anyway.
    Last edited by Ken Combs; 09-18-2017 at 11:07 AM.

A couple of questions.. What is your intended use of this impact ? (shop-general or more construction oriented.) And are you only looking at Dewalt tools ? I ownMilwaukee m18 impacts (3) ,drill ,skilsaw,sawzall etc. Would definitely second the recommend of brushless and lithion ion batteries that others have stated above. Also look at Milwaukee and Makita . I bought my first Milwaukee stuff 5 years ago and am still using my original batteries (3). We use them constantly,this is by far the best cordless system I have used. All my tools are the "fuel "brushless versions. Another benefit to the brushless technology is longer tool life . We use impacts mainly for driving screws in framing /renovations and screws for installing tin on shop exteriors. Good luck with your choice, Mike.

I agree with Mike. As a whole, Milwaukee does make better tools. The 18 vs 20v is not an issue, as DeWalt says that the 20v is no load, so essentially they are 18v batteries. That said, I do not own any Milwaukee tools, only DeWalt. I like the new brushless tools, I have many of them. If you don't have a DeWalt tool now, and if you're doing lots of work and will depend on your driver, invest in Milwaukee. If you already have DeWalt tools, stick with one line of batteries. You can swap them. The main drawback to Milwaukee is their tools, in general (again) are heavier.
    If you do go with DeWalt, check out the Tough System Radio. It is by far the best SOUNDING jobsite radio I have heard. It rocks. Best tool purchase I have made. My workbench is 2" thick, and the radio vibrates stuff on it at 3/4 volume. This radio pounds out some tunes. Good luck in your search.

The DCD771C2 you cited is a drill driver, not an impact driver. The DCF885C2 from Home Depot does not appear to be XR on their website.

XR means eXtended Runtime. Basically the batteries are 2.0 amp hours on the XR version vs 1.5 for the compact range and 4.0 vs 3.0 for the full-size range. Of course DeWalt now has 5.0, 6.0 and higher batteries available, so full-size is a relative term.

Also the last two letter/digit on the model number tells you about the batteries in the kit. C2 will have two compact 1.5Ah batteries, C1 will have one compact 1.5 Ah battery, D# has the compact 2.0 Ah battery, M# has the full-size battery, B means a bare tool/no battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post
    The DCD771C2 you cited is a drill driver, not an impact driver. The DCF885C2 from Home Depot does not appear to be XR on their website.

XR means eXtended Runtime. Basically the batteries are 2.0 amp hours on the XR version vs 1.5 for the compact range and 4.0 vs 3.0 for the full-size range. Of course DeWalt now has 5.0, 6.0 and higher batteries available, so full-size is a relative term.

Also the last two letter/digit on the model number tells you about the batteries in the kit. C2 will have two compact 1.5Ah batteries, C1 will have one compact 1.5 Ah battery, D# has the compact 2.0 Ah battery, M# has the full-size battery, B means a bare tool/no battery.
    XR means far more than that. All of DeWalts 20Max XR tools use brushless motors. The brushless motors are more efficient, which means you get both more power AND more runtime using the same battery as you would with a brushed motor.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    XR means far more than that. All of DeWalts 20Max XR tools use brushless motors. The brushless motors are more efficient, which means you get both more power AND more runtime using the same battery as you would with a brushed motor.
    I was referring to kits that came with batteries labeled XR, not the tool themselves. Brushless tools are labeled XR and come with the XR batteries (I'm not sure whether that's true or not across the entire brand, but that seems likely). However there are brushed tools that come with XR batteries, like the DCF885M2, for instance. The XR term predates Dewalt's widespread usage of brushless tools and initially referred to the higher capacity batteries. With the advent of brushless, DeWalt incorporated the XR terminology onto the tools themselves, and rightfully so as that would extend runtime further, as you stated.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I learned a lot. I plan on using the Driver on shop projects however, I do have a large remodeling project coming up on a house we purchased. I currently have a DeWalt 3/8 (18 Volt) Drill/Sawzall. Also, have a Milwaukee 1/2 (18 Volt). I like the Milwaukee Drill better than the DeWalt. From what I am hearing from everyone, the brushless Drivers are the way to go, more power and more run time. Also, the lithium Ion batteries sound like the way to go. I really like the DeWalt impact driver which I used but, I'm going to investigate the Milwaukee further. Thanks again for your valuable input. Gary

I have both the 18 and 20 volt models. Love them both. I ran across a 20v kit at Home Depot not too long ago that had the driver, drill, saw , two batteries and charger and light for $199. Should've bought 2 but I already had 2 18v drills, 2 drivers, saw and light.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1E&FORM=VRDGAR . I have several impacts ,they get used heavy in my work .i only posted this review because the line about milwaukee is better ,not so sure that is so true ,not saying it isn't either . someplace there is a great review that i couldn't find to share just impacts for 2017. Milwaukee scored more to the middle which is interesting since they advertise having the strongest impact . they are all good . if this isn't something you use every day or hard then you might look at getting the brushed ones .Bosch has been offering real good deals on there older stuff .https://bigskytool.com/?utm_campaign...25BDA9,21JCP,1 .hitachi has some great deals all the time here .have bought a few of there grade c and have done very well . just for info all my impacts are brushless do to the cost savings on the battery life . If you were in the trades working it every day i would say go brushless but since your not you can take advantage of great deals .

I found the review I was looking for .I love this review . Told me alot about specific tools . main thing is they all have something to offer .http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...pact-drivers_c Hope you like it .