Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

18 Sep 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    I come off oncall duty this morning and thankfully, it wasn't a bad weekend oncall wise. Visited with friends and family on Saturday, still working on the king size bed frame project, and just spending time with the LOML and my 2 sons that are still living at home. We all have our struggles and I'm past ready for some of mine to be done. One of the joys I've had in this bed frame project is teaching the owner how to do woodworking and the process behind it all. He makes for a good student but is a fast learner as well. Teaching others and enabling them to use the skills they learned from me and with me is a great benefit of mine in the shop.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Completed my work bench project that I ahve been putting off completing.

Jointed up some curly Maple for some guitar tops.

Jointed up and cut a couple of guitar necks, my shop mate Brian started to shape them.

Parted out the older/weaker of my two vintage lathes. I may have an upgrade coming from the estate of another wood worker.

cleaned up the shop.

Started gluing up a table top on a stalled furniture project.

Did drawer rough out work on a kitchen cabinet repair project I am starting for a friend.

Burned all of the small scraps I am never going to use in an enjoyable bonfire with my exchange Student Magnus and my shop mate Brian.

Painted the living room after my daughter got too tired to finish the project.

And now a busy day at work-Taking Thursday and Friday off to go to Arnfest and look at some old ARN woodworking tools.

Blog Entries
    I went climbing on Saturday and came back early on Sunday to put up the cedar planks (with a friend) on my privacy fence. Just need to get the gate on and it's done. Used to be a very crappy chain link fence.

0918170917.jpg

Since Saturday was supposed to be a rather nice fall day, my fiancee and I went on a motorcycle ride through the Kettle Moraine area south of Fond Du Lac. Ended up putting on 150 miles of nice twisty roads. Turned out there was quite a few people with the same idea.

Yesterday we worked on an area in the yard. Put up a small rock wall to outline a planted area around our peach tree. Then I went into the workshop and cleaned up. Waiting for a glue up to complete, and decided it would be a good time to put all the extra boards back into the lumber stack and get everything ready for the "next big project". Got the boards put away, cleaned out the dust collector and table saw, then swept up and cleaned off the bench. Then we went over to her father's to watch the Packers lose to the Falcons...

Friday, went to LKQ in Greenville NC, 200 mile round trip pulling a trailer for nothing. Saturday morning went to get hand truck out of trailer, and one tire was in shreds. The wind must have caught it and spun it around quite a bit. Repaired leaking window on right side of van (1994 Areostar) on Saturday, and did left on Sunday. Cleaned carpet (wet smell from leaks,) and put it out in sunshine to dry. Started rebuilding pig cooker that I built in 1986. Need to replace the pull out tray, rollers and rails it rolls on. Went to church Sunday AM.

Andrew, that looks fantastic...nice upgrade!

With the assistance of two missionaries who made the mistake of knocking on my door earlier in the week, on Saturday I took down all of my overhead lumber (stacked up on top of a pair of shelving units), installed the lumber rack I welded up late spring, and put the lumber back up. I did feed the starving waifs pizza after we were done.

I also got some shop cleanup and re-org done. And got back to working on a cooler stand that's destined to be a Christmas gift. The cooler stand is the first "real" project I've worked on in some time, as everything else has been shop projects.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John, that was certainly a creative way to recruit labor...

My weekend was eclectic as usual. Saturday actually started out in the shop. Professor Dr SWMBO needed a simple piece of woodenware for one of her honey bee colonies, so that was first up. I then started on a mounting system for a pendant lamp that's going to be installed in our great room from one of the barn beams. On Sunday, I continued with that work after re-doing the dust collection for my miter station. Although it was original implemented in the manner that the cantilevered miter station design called for and did ok for direct collection from the saw, there was way too much "splash" of material going in all directions. So I disconnected the below blade port and built a surround behind the machine to catch "the stuff"...while still utilizing a direct connection to the saw in a, um...flexible...way.

IMG_0773.jpg

And to top off Sunday, my tree guy finally stopped by to drop a long-dead tree down by the road onto the lawn so I could dispose of it. That was truly tiring, but other than the bark that's lying where the two big sections fell, I got it cleaned up before figuratively collapsing for the rest of the evening.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My weekend project, in addition to working on Saturday, was to slap a coat of paint onto my cordless drill cabinet. It is patterned off one I found on Youtube, with slots underneath for up to 8 drills/driver/nail guns, and I modified it to have a charging station on the end. I could not seem to get the photos out of the phone to post. Will try again. Anyway, it is now a uniform grey color and hanging off its French cleat.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

There wasn't much time for the workshop last weekend, because we took an overnight trip out of town to attend a wedding a couple hours from home. One of my recent projects was put to work there: this "tree" for the donuts served at the reception.
    Donut Tree, 800.jpg

I'm using up leftover plywood and idle shop time by building a pedestal for my bench grinder. I spent a little time on that Sunday evening.
    Chuck Taylor