Thread: Cutting Gloss of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane

Cutting Gloss of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane

I am finishing some basic shop cabinets I built, and I find the Satin version of the above product FAR too glossy for me. Rather than attempt to rub it out, which I have very limited experience doing, would adding some Lee Valley Tung Oil (what I have on hand) serve to dull the finish on the subsequent coats? I have never seen a satin finish as glossy as this out of the can - it is much closer to gloss than satin to my eye. I used to use Sherwin-Williams Fast Oil Varnish, which I really liked, but it has not been available here for years now. All the stores here sell Minwax; there are very few other brands of varnish available.

Thanks, Joe.

Grades of varnish start out as gloss, with varying degrees of flatting agents added. When cans sit for a while, the flatting agent tends to sink to the bottom of the can, so make sure that you stir well! If after stirring the gloss is still too high, you can add some flatting agent (e.g., Interlux Flatting Agent for 1-part Finishes), or you can rub out the finish with {real or synthetic} steel wool - it's not too difficult. In general, applying multiple coats of non-gloss varnish results in a cloudy finish; it is best to reserve the satin for the final topcoat. Adding tung oil will muck with the chemistry of the finish and increase drying time.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

JM--good post.

Rubbing out with steel or bronze wool has the added advantage of taking care of the inevitable dust inclusions and leaves a surface that is easily repaired.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks to all for your comments. I had a go at rubbing it out with 400 W/D paper, then 4/0 steel wool pads & soapy water. It isn't perfect, but it's much closer to what I wanted.