Thread: Painting cabinet doors over existing finish.

Painting cabinet doors over existing finish.

The doors have polyacrylic coating.

The client wants white cabs and would like to use existing doors/drawers.

I'm thinking a scuff and oil based primer but I don't know how I will get it all sanded, like ogee on the raised panel doors.

What do you all think?

Sorry I meant WB primer.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 09-18-2017 at 4:42 PM.

Robert,

People say that dewaxed shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to dewaxed shellac. This has proven true in my experience, although I have not recoated "everything." Zinsser makes this claim for their BIN shellac based primer. I think that a scuff sanding, as you said, and a careful wipe with TSP or ammonia solution may give you a satisfactory substrate for the re-coat with BIN primer. I did this with some 10-15 year old kitchen cabinets and it was fine. I used Impervo white enamel. After 5 years there were a few small chips where I suppose I missed with the sandpaper. Otherwise, adhesion was excellent.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Hepler; 09-19-2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: I meant to say, dewaxed shellac

Blog Entries
    80 grit sand
    100 grit sand
    stix primer
    benjamin moore Satin Impervo
    VOC of 375 though.

That stuff is the best. no brush marks. it becomes apart of the wood.

Agree with Doug,,Shellac is a simple, easy to apply, proven sealer with good adhesion..
    Jerry

Thx, yes I'm going with BIN shellac based primer.

I've resigned myself to the sanding the ogees on the rails and stiles will be a bit of a pain.

TSP or liquid sandpaper are your best friends for getting into the details, but I would do everything with it. Then BIN, then paint. I only spray WB, and I've used BM's Advance with great results when I need a durable paint. It's available in BM's full color palette. It takes a long time to dry and cure, but it sprays like a dream and is really durable after it finally cures.

I haven't used it yet but PPG's Breakthrough is supposed to be very good for this type of application. They claim you don't even need to use a primer first, though I would. Anyway, here's some info. on it: https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/b...ior-waterborne

John