Thread: Soft open & soft close Gas Strut for wall kitchen cabinet

Blog Entries

Soft open & soft close Gas Strut for wall kitchen cabinet

kitchen wall.jpg

Looking for a reputable gas strut.
    All i could find were ones that open and stay open.
    Was thinking of getting a Blum soft close hinge to put on the top ?

What exactly are you looking to accomplish?

If I read correctly you want to touch the door and have it spring open to the raised position ?

if so, the only way to accomplish that is with an electric or servo drive. Blum does make such an animal. The parts cost around $6-700 and you'll need electric outlets close to the cabinets you want to use them on in order to power the transformers. One transformer will power about a dozen motors.

That doesn't include the actual Aventos lift mechanisms which will run another $400. If the cabinets are built and installed already, you'll want the switch boring jig too. That's around $250.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 09-19-2017 at 8:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    sorry dave!
    i am not familiar with the terminology.
    I do not mind lifting it up halfway or whatever, i just want it to "finish" the lift..
    Then when i close it, i would like to close it say 3/4 of the way? and have it close.

is that possible at an affordable cost?

Here is the Blum Aventos vertical open hinge. The illustration there looks similar to the OP's photo. Depending on the size and weight of the door, these might run up to $120/pair (not the $1200+ quoted above). Lid supports might be an even cheaper alternative.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Ok, then the standard Blum Aventos will do that well. And without all the electronic trickery. It still cost several hundred dollars a cabinet though.

This is should do what you ask for less than $50, though it's not as refined.

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cate...on-arm/1164685

James , the HK you linked isn't compatible with the servo drive - which is what enables the automatic opening and closing feature.

mike doesn't want that , but if he did it's pretty much a grand a cabinet any way you want to slice it.

Who said anything about servo drives? Or automatic opening or closing? That's all you.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.