Thread: need help, planer down jobs to do!

need help, planer down jobs to do!

Hello all, My Powermatic 221 planer (bought in 2008 - use it daily) is down no thanks to a dual voltage Furnace Coil No. D2936-31 that went 'pop'. All else looks good, need a replacement coil quick! I have several switches and starters, old arn parts and pieces, and about a million other shop things we might be able to trade...

huge advance thanks to anyone that can help!!!
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

Call your local wholesale electrical supply house, give them the Furnace part number for both the coil and the starter-relay. They can probably either replace the Furnace part number in-kind, or cross reference to a part they have in stock. (Many coils are interchangeable between manufacturers.)

Any size 1 starter with the appropriate coil voltage would work. Might be easier to find a whole starter quickly than just parts. I keep a bunch of old AB 709 and CH starters on hand. I suspect there must be guys in NC who do the same if you can't find any commercially. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Call your local wholesale electrical supply house, give them the Furnace part number for both the coil and the starter-relay. They can probably either replace the Furnace part number in-kind, or cross reference to a part they have in stock. (Many coils are interchangeable between manufacturers.)
    have called multiple local electrical supply houses and have received no good answers. I live in an area that never had much heavy manufacturing, so there isn't a lot of old stock around, the shops don't carry much along these lines, and they want a small fortune for anything that they do carry.
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

Find a surplus equipment resale house or eBay.
    I may have one, but by the time it gets there you may find one.

'http://www.ebay.com/itm/172864241214

There were several others as well.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-26-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: removed direct link

Will be some on ebay. May be cheaper to buy a whole starter though. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Kent View Post
    have called multiple local electrical supply houses and have received no good answers. I live in an area that never had much heavy manufacturing, so there isn't a lot of old stock around, the shops don't carry much along these lines, and they want a small fortune for anything that they do carry.
    I don't own a 221, but quick search says 10Hp; the rest I'll have to assume: 230V/3ph with 120VAC coil configures as needing the Allen Bradley 300-COD930 contactor. This is complete contactor unit, but no OL protection.

I see the AB for anywhere from $205 down to $22 (PLCHardware dot com) - (not sure I'm brave enough for the latter?) The Furnas coil alone goes for $245 at shopping by the Bay. ...Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-19-2017 at 3:24 PM. Reason: clarity

I'm looking at ebay as well, thanks. I just moved into a new shop and the $$$ keeps going out not coming in, so I was hoping to get one cheaper - I know that are like 85 gazillion starters and/or coils like I need floating around. I'll stay on the hunt.
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

my 221 is 7.5 HP belt drive by the way. They came in several configurations with direct or belt drive, in 5, 7.5, and 10 HP for each drive system
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

Searching will be better with proper spelling of "Furnas" that will eliminate the cheap furnace relays.
    I would buy a contactor with adjustable overloads from the bay. Make it fit either inside the old box or replace the old box with a complete unit in it's box.
    NEMA size 2 is good for 7.5-10 HP. I think they are standard mounting hole etc.
    When doing a job like this I try to mount a short cord and plug on the motor. Makes things a lot easier, less standing on your head connecting wires.

I see 6 exact same coils on ebay now. cheapest is $50. probably cheaper to buy a complete used relay and harvest the coil.

Bill D

http://www.linkelectric.com/pdf/tools_starters.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furnas-D2936...8AAOSwuspY9jhf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furnas-42DF3...YAAOSwqfNXmkcn
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-20-2017 at 9:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Searching will be better with proper spelling of "Furnas" that will eliminate the cheap furnace relays.
    I would buy a contactor with adjustable overloads from the bay. Make it fit either inside the old box or replace the old box with a complete unit in it's box.
    NEMA size 2 is good for 7.5-10 HP. I think they are standard mounting hole etc.
    When doing a job like this I try to mount a short cord and plug on the motor. Makes things a lot easier, less standing on your head connecting wires.

I see 6 exact same coils on ebay now. cheapest is $50. probably cheaper to buy a complete used relay and harvest the coil.

Bill D

http://www.linkelectric.com/pdf/tools_starters.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furnas-D2936...8AAOSwuspY9jhf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furnas-42DF3...YAAOSwqfNXmkcn
    I just noticed that I spelled Furnas wrong - I am totally aware of that, just busy when I wrote it. thanks
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

Replacing the coil will likely involve removing the entire starter from the box and disconnecting all the external wiring to get it out. In my limited experience most remove from the back. So just replacing the entire contactor is not really any more work. But you will have to figure out the wiring unless replacing with an identical unit.
    Any reason for dual voltage coil? I assume a more common single voltage coil would work as long as it is the correct voltage and the correct AC or DC What control voltage are you using?

Take photos of the wiring before you start. Meter it out if needed.
    Bill