Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pallet jacks

I understand a common problem is the front wheels are seldom greased. They are normally cheap and easy to replace. I would buy a quality used jack. Not much to go wrong other then leaks. A quality brand one you can buy new seals that fit.
    Bill

JR I have a samurri pry bar that can lift very heavy stuff or at least raise it at times I get lazy and use a block of wood on a car jack, its easier and my hands are both free to put the blocks under just a different way the pry bar is great but the jack is easier just block up to under the table old kitchen guy showed me that.

I am fortunate in that I have a 4' wide shelf unit, like at HD, and the jack forks will fit right under it, with only the handle/pump end taking up space. Like I mentioned, I picked up a well used one for $60, and if I like it, I may try a new one. It looks like I will be wanting a 21" wide one, with 36" or 48" forks.

When I get the blocks under a couple tools, I can determine my needs better, and at my age, I have lots of needs, like a new back, shoulders, etc.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Honestly I never used a pallet jack until I bought mine so I didn't know how useful they can be. I have found so many uses for mine in my shop I keep it close at hand rather than bury it behind a machine. I found a company in Virginia Beach who had hundreds of lightweight plastic pallets for sale and I purchased a couple dozen because they were only a couple dollars each. For heavy loads I just stack two or three pallets.

For some jobs I make small custom wooden pallets that often become shipping crates when its warranted but the plastic pallets are so cheap I don't mind using them to deliver even when I know that I won't get them back. The smaller wooden pallets often are built to fit on top of my hydraulic tables so I can move signs from machine to machine and when they are completed I can use my tractor to move them from the roll around hydraulic tables to my connex box or directly to my van. In the past I was building small custom plywood boxes to store and deliver door signs, now I only use a few of the boxes because I can transfer signs from the larger pallet boxes to the small plywood boxes I use on my install cart when I'm on a job site.

I recently found a picture on the Net of a welding workbench that was built to fit on a pallet jack that looks pretty useful. I need to pour an extended apron in front of my shop so I can work outside on some projects using the pallet jack to move assembly's or machines in and out of the shop.

I have a 1500 lb motorcycle lift jack that works very well for me moving the heavier equipment. I already had it for doing motorcycle maintenance and it just happened to suit my purposes perfectly. Here is an image of a similar one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....129fGx-TuL.jpg

The benefit of this tool is it is low profile but will lift at least 12 inches if needed.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 09-22-2017 at 11:04 AM.

I have an older full size Jet. I got it via Craigslist when I got my Powermatic 180 a few years ago. It, my widebelt and my Minimax 20" bandsaw all have skids mounted under them so I can use the pallet jack to move them around. Most of the other tools are on mobile bases or heavy duty casters. Most of the time the pallet jack lives under the widebelt, with the handle moved over to one side. When I get some more paving done around the shop it'll probably go out in the carport under a stack of lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I am sold on using a pallet jack in my shop. I can move my 800 pound band saw with very little effort. Since I purchased mine it is used more frequently than I expected. Even though my 500 + pound planer is on a custom welded steel stand that I built its easier to move it with the pallet jack then push it around on its wheels.

Its a Northern Tool mini pallet jack, the forks are 15" wide and 31" long.
    Keith:

I'm having trouble finding your exact model of pallet jack on Northern Tool's website.

Do you know which one it is, or have a link to it.

Thanks.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan,

I checked the other day to see if i could find the model I have on their web site and it isn't listed. Mine is a yellow mini pallet jack but its not there anymore.

Alan,

I checked the other day to see if i could find the model I have on their web site and it isn't listed. Mine is a yellow mini pallet jack but its not there anymore.
    I think I found one on U-Line but not on Northern Tool.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Alan,

I searched for "mini pallet jack" on the NorthernTool website and found:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0712_200680712

15" wide, 31-1/2" long forks, but not yellow. Any other differences? Maybe just a new version....

Bear in mind that a pallet jack is supporting the load at three points even if the steering point is two wheels a few inches apart. Remember the stability problems of a tricycle. This is making the two wide wheels very close together so be sure the load isn't very tall and that you are only using this on level ground. OR be very careful.

Well, I liked my $60 jack well enough, but the narrow one is exactly what I need to fit all my large stuff, so I took Greg Bradley's advice and bought a Crown 20X48 jack and picked it up about 10 miles from home. This saved me some shipping, and it cost me $399. One nice thing about it is that parts are available, which many cheap jacks cannot claim.

It works so smoothly, I can let the tools down gently, and they are really easy to move around. I wish I had done it 20 years ago. If anyone is thinking about getting one, I got the 48" long forks, even though 36" or maybe even 30" would do the job. My reasoning is twofold 1. Some of my tools have overhanging tables, and the longer forks still fit, the Grizz slider saw for example, and 2. Resale.

Now to sell the $60 model. Should be easy.

Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-04-2017 at 2:13 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I came back from a visit to Felder in Delaware earlier this week. They had suggested the Euro pallet jack to move the machines I'm getting (FB710 bandsaw, D951 planer, and A941 Jointer). Those are the ones with 21" or 22" width. They routinely use those for installs on their machines. That being said, when presented with the choices of 16" or 21", they recommended I get the 16" one. FWIW.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 11-04-2017 at 7:41 AM.