Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caller ID 'fraud'

Caller ID 'fraud'

I get that people need to make a living and charities need money, so I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to live with the charity and sales robocalls.

However, I semi-screen for robocalls by NOT answering most calls where a City-State is the name that shows up on the caller ID. Almost always they're a charity or robot. Most 'real' numbers with a city-state ID, I recognize the number and will answer. Anyone really interested if I don't answer will leave a message...

Calls I always answer? Those where the caller ID says "Cell Phone", mostly since they're always real people..

--until a few minutes ago, when I answered a 'cell phone' call only to find out it was a Google robocall.
    This spoofing is complete and if not already, SHOULD be against the law. Blacklists already don't work because the robo phone numbers are random numbers.

So now I have to worry about every "cell phone" call I pick up being someone I have to say NO to or hang up on? Ecchh...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I spoke about that in this thread... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ne-sales-calls just a few days ago. It's not legal, but it's also hard to stop because many of the calls are originating overseas and coming in via VoIP. The trend has been to randomization of CID with the added twist of "local AC and exchange" so you think it's coming from a person or business around the corner from your home. Unfortunately, it's going to force most of us to stop answering the phone unless we are expecting a call and/or actually know the person calling. Of course, one person pointed out that they received a call from "themselves" not long ago...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm already there. I won't answer if I don't recognize the number. If it's important they'll leave a message.
    I have sympathy for the people that have to use a phone for their daily business.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I feel your pain.!! If my phone rings and it's just a phone number and I don't have a name assigned to the number? I never....ever...answer it. I dislike phones anyway...especially cell phones. I've seen too many people get hurt because of drivers using cell phones while driving.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

With my cochlear implant, answering the phone has become a chore to begin with....so if I don't recognize the number or there isn't a name I recognize.....it doesn't get answered.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We get about 3-4 calls from random numbers per day on the land line. I usually screen them and they rarely leave a message. Sometimes I will answer to tell them to take me off their call list, but at least 90% of the time there is nobody to pick up at the other end, just dead air. So why do they bother calling if they don't want to talk?

Steve

We do not answer our "land line" (voip) unless we know who is calling. We are getting 8 or 10 calls a day and we've managed to block some but if it isn't family or the dr or pharmacy we don't answer. I don't get many nuisance calls on my cell phone--maybe one a day. Always from a credit card processing company.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I got a couple of calls from my own number in the phone I was using? I am no longer polite these days, these people are wasting my time, and I am old, I just don't have time to waste on their bologna.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    ... but at least 90% of the time there is nobody to pick up at the other end, just dead air. So why do they bother calling if they don't want to talk?
    Low end dialers pretty much 'spray' calls without regard to monitoring for an answer. When you do pick up one of these calls, if there isn't a recording-playback port or a live agent available, you get dead air. Quality outbound dialing systems are much smarter, but they are used by real companies who actually try to serve real customers, rather than foisting scams. Cost is the reason...the good systems are not in any way, shape or form inexpensive. I know because I work for a company that builds and sells the "good stuff"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I'm already there. I won't answer if I don't recognize the number. If it's important they'll leave a message.
    That's the bottom line. It's what we do and there has never been a problem.

The phone never gets picked up on the first ring.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    This is totally me. The wife practices this method as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you haven't seen it already, they call showing phone numbers that are from same area code and exchange that you are from, so as to make you think it is a local caller.

I got rid of my landline specifically because the only people who ever called it were telemarketers and robocalls. I don't get a lot on my cell phone, but I've given up answering any calls from people I don't recognize. If they leave a voice mail, I'll decide whether to call them back. If they leave no voicemail, I delete the number. Anyone I care about knows how to reach me. Anyone who doesn't know how to reach me, I don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I feel your pain.!! If my phone rings and it's just a phone number and I don't have a name assigned to the number? I never....ever...answer it. I dislike phones anyway...especially cell phones.
    We should never forget that there is no law that says you have to answer your phone! Ever.

I've heard from more people lately that don't even turn their cell phone on unless they are ready to make a call. I've started doing that occasionally myself - it's far more relaxing once I got over the initial separation anxiety. (Battery sure does last a long time that way!) We forget that most of us somehow survived much of our lives without being bonded to a phone.

JKJ

Cell phones are great things. My cell phone is for "my" convenience not anyone else. I answer when I want to. The rudest statement I ever hear from callers is "Why don't you ever answer your phone". The simple answer is "It is not your phone and you have no business questioning me about how I use it". Biggest time waster ever invented
    Jim