Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caller ID 'fraud'

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    ... for "my" convenience...
    Reminds me of a story related to me about my great grandfather - - in early to mid-1920s when as a grocery store owner, he got a newfangled telephone installed. It promptly rang and he answered, "What?! NO!!" And hung up. (Sam was semi-famous for being a bit cantankerous.)

A friend standing near him said, "Sam, that wasn't very nice."

Sam replied, "I bought the d%$& thing to talk on, not to listen to!"

Some things never change.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-21-2017 at 7:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Reminds me of a story related to me about my great grandfather - - in early to mid-1920s when as a grocery store owner, he got a newfangled telephone installed. It promptly rang and he answered, "What?! NO!!" And hung up. (Sam was semi-famous for being a bit cantankerous.)

A friend standing near him said, "Sam, that wasn't very nice."

Sam replied, "I bought the d%$& thing to talk on, not to listen to!"

Some things never change.
    Your great grandfather and I may have been great friends!
    Jim

I love being retired....

I'm firm, polite and brief with people that are legitimate sales people that somehow sneak through the national do not call list.

Scammers are a whole different story .
    When they call, I put on my very best "confused old person" voice and keep asking them if they are my doctor calling or my dog's doctor calling. Then I go on and on and on about how much I love my dog and how worried I am because she might be sick....
    When they finally manage to get a word in, I explode at them for not showing any compassion for my possibly sick dog.

Sometimes I'll just ramble on about my aches and pains & all the pills and potions I have to take.

It beats sitting around having to watch Judge Judy and all the stupid court shows my wife watches in the afternoon!
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I love being retired....

I'm firm, polite and brief with people that are legitimate sales people that somehow sneak through the national do not call list.

Scammers are a whole different story .
    When they call, I put on my very best "confused old person" voice and keep asking them if they are my doctor calling or my dog's doctor calling. Then I go on and on and on about how much I love my dog and how worried I am because she might be sick....
    When they finally manage to get a word in, I explode at them for not showing any compassion for my possibly sick dog.

Sometimes I'll just ramble on about my aches and pains & all the pills and potions I have to take.

It beats sitting around having to watch Judge Judy and all the stupid court shows my wife watches in the afternoon!
    GAD!!! Think of all the shop time you're wasting that way! And you should be more thankful for Judge Judy. She keeps you from being disturbed in the shop with Honey Do items. (Of course, you have your phone turned off at the time as well.) A perfect world.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

yea its pretty simple for me if their not in my contact list I don't answer. Like everyone else has said if they really want to talk to you they will leave a message. Put all you known numbers in your contact list with a name attached, then you know who's calling.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Well, looks like every cloud does have a silver lining. Being effectively deaf I simply do not use a phone for voice, so never pick up.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Fun with telemarketers

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I love being retired....
    ...When they call, I put on my very best "confused old person" voice and keep asking them if they are my doctor calling or my dog's doctor calling. ...
    Ha! Back when real person telemarketers called I would sometime ask them to hold on a moment and set the phone down. Oddest thing, 20 minutes later I pick up the phone and find we had been disconnected for some reason. Hmm...

The most fun was when I wanted an unlisted number in the '80s but was too cheap to pay for it. We listed our phone as "S. Maxwell" which happened to be our dog's registered name (Sharon's Maxwell). That way when someone called asking for Mr Maxwell I knew they pulled my number from the phone book and I could them anything:
    - Sorry, he's in the doghouse and can't come to the phone.
    - Oh, he's in the front yard relieving himself. Hold on a bit.
    - He can't talk now.
    - He can't come to the phone - he just got neutered today and doesn't feel like like doing anything.
    - Can you call back?, I'm trying to give him a bath and he's getting water everywhere.
    - Hold on, I'll holler at him - he's out chasing a neighbor's cat.
    - Ah, he's confined to the porch - got sprayed by a skunk again. Second time this week.
    - Oh, [sob] he died last week [sniff] and we buried him by the lilac bush.

When the phone rang my kids would come running to see what I was going to say this time. Unfortunately, robotic calls took all the fun out of telemarketing calls.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    . I know because I work for a company that builds and sells the "good stuff"...
    Ah Ha! Now I can put a face to my pain!

The no answer thing does not work for me. My customers know that my cell is the best way to find me, and they are from all over the country, so I have to answer the phone as there is no way I know all the numbers they might call from. I don't mind so much until I drop what I am doing to answer and it is a junk call.

Yeah, I can't just not answer all calls, my home is also my business. What I NEVER use for business is my cell phone. It's to call the wife, period

And ironically just this morning, I get "SLC UT" on the ID, and I was expecting a call from my customer whose ID comes up the same way...

Nope. "Can I speak to the owner?" Uh oh, know where this is going- I should've said that he was in Puerto Rico helping people clean up after the hurricane, but I'm not much for lying..

"that's me"

"I'm a representative of some fundraiser for some police charity this and that and such and such and we'd really like to count on your support."

"Sorry, I don't do donations via telephones, i've had my cards and ID hacked 3 times in the past right after pledging donations by phone so I don't do that any more" (this is true)

"We have a $15 pledge package, would that work for you?"

"Like I said, I don't do donations over the phone, sorry".

"We have a minimum pledge package of $10--"

"Sorry, not by phone!"

"[-unintelligible as I'm hanging up]..."

"feel free to keep on talking"--click

AGGHHH!!! GAWWDD!! Do I REEEAALLYY have to tell you NO THREE times AND hang up on you so I don't have to tell you FOUR times!?

--People like that are THEE reason I hate answering unknown callers...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I know it's hard because none of us were raised to behave this way but when that happens you have to teach yourself to just say 'no thank you', hang up and go back to what you were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I know it's hard because none of us were raised to behave this way but when that happens you have to teach yourself to just say 'no thank you', hang up and go back to what you were doing.
    Some of them are really, really insistent though. A long, long time ago, back when I had a land line, I got a call from a new local telemarketer. I said no thanks and hung up. They called back. I hung up again, they called back again. This went on for a while with the guy on the other end getting ruder and ruder, it must have been some kid, but then he started issuing physical threats, saying he knew where I lived and he was going to come over and beat me up. I kicked on the answering machine and recorded it, then turned it over to the police. That company doesn't exist anymore, as far as I know.

The problem with the no-call list is that telemarketers know it has no teeth. Nobody ever gets in trouble for violating it. If you tell the telemarketer you're on the list, they will laugh at you. They don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    ... If you tell the telemarketer you're on the list, they will laugh at you. They don't care.
    I once heard the recommendation of getting their attention first with a police whistle but I never tried that.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I once heard the recommendation of getting their attention first with a police whistle but I never tried that.

JKJ
    Portable boat horn like they advise women to use on bad guys. Problem is you would probably hurt some person who was just trying to make a buck or two. They are reading a prepared script and are told to just keep talking. I admit there are times when I would do it because it is so aggravating. If I sure about the call I sometimes answer by saying "This is agent so and so with the[insert your favorite agency name here] this is being recorded how may I assist you.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Don't make the mistake I did and download a CID app. My "spoof" calls tripled. It's a scam to get your number on the list of all who downloaded it, making it available to scammers.
    Do not fall for it. You will regret it quickly. Even though I've uninstalled the app, my number is still out there and i'm getting spoof calls regularly.

Blog Entries
    Just wanted to add that I downloaded it from Play Store thinking it would be legitimate. NOT !!!