Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Vietnam War - PBS

The Vietnam War - PBS

Hi,
    Has anyone else been catching The Vietnam War, Ken Burns' 10 part documentary on PBS?

It's an amazingly deep documentary with a lot of footage and interviews that most would never have seen before. Massive undertaking that took Burns 10 years to complete.

I was a child during the Vietnam war, and growing up outside the US at that. I can't even relate to what it must be like to be a veteran or someone who lost friends, family in that war. The documentary makes clear how deep the wounds are. It also presents quite a few interviews with Vietnamese people, which is very interesting.

If you're interested, you can stream it on PBS' website. I heard Netflix will eventually have it also.

ADDED: This post was not intended to be political in any way. Please think of it as an FYI on a good documentary for those many of us too young to have firsthand knowledge of the events. In my case, just a genuine interest in history. I thought Ken Burns' Civil War documentary was very good also, but obviously not personal for nearly as many people when it came out (I think). Sorry if I inadvertently stepped on anyone's toes.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 09-21-2017 at 1:07 AM.

I'm recording it. I never made it there. I blew my knee out carrying an M60 up a steep hill 3 weeks before I was to leave for Vietnam. I lost several friends there.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

After having spent 20 month is Vietnam (7/65-3/67) with Echo battery, 12 Marines, I have no desire to watch the program....

Blog Entries
    I just missed the draft. I lost a childhood friend in that war.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

My wife and I have been watching. I got drafted in 1967 however I was sent to South Korea when the spy ship Pueblo was captured by North Korea. Because of that I missed serving in Vietnam although several high school class mates served there and some did not make it back.

I think that most of those who were involved would not want to watch this or any film that involved war. I know it is historical etc but the reason the governments cooked up for Vietnam and the sheer lunacy of causing so many deaths still hurts. I can see this may get political etc so I won't say anymore than that just to say I was conscripted in Australia but did not go because the change of government here ended our involvement.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Having been 4F in college from hearing loss I did not serve obviously. Still the insanity of the war and the times remain. It's Too soon. I'm avoiding it. I've no wish to relive the times nor recall the horror.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 09-21-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I was in Vietnam though not in combat. I was in support, I did the payroll that paid the troops. I did however see some real government waste. Example, the Army leased two airplanes at Cam Ranh Bay from the Navy. These were two WW II sub chaser fixed wing aircraft with over $1 million of surveillance gear in each plane. The terms of the lease required the Navy to WASH one plane each week, in the Philippine Islands. So the Army flew one plane each week to the Philippine Islands to get washed.

What a waste of your tax dollars.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I wonder who PBS and Burns' say won that war?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I wonder who PBS and Burns' say won that war?
    With the disclaimer that I'm not all the way through it, they seem to be making a case that nobody won that war. Everyone lost in some way or another.

A couple of other themes I'm hearing:
    1. Blame doesn't lie in any one lap, there were lots and lots of contributing factors, many of which are not widely known
    2. If there's one thing to be gained by dissecting a difficult period of history, it's to learn from the past and prevent it from ever happening again - which is exactly what was not done at the time

after all the deaths, misery and hate created between two countries I find it IRONIC Vietnam is now a cruise destination for Americans. My BIL who served in Vietnam in a non combat position is strongly considering taking one and talking about what a beautiful and friendly country it is.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I have been watching it with great interest though at times it is very difficult. I served 13 months there in 1968-69 as a Marine 0331 (machinegunner) first in a rifle company B 1/7 1st MARDIV, and later in a Combined Action Team. Combined Action was a squad of Marines, a Navy Corpsman, and a platoon of Vietnamese militia called Popular Forces and we lived in a village training the PFs, protecting the village, and performing civic action. I used to speak limited Vietnamese so mine was a very different war. So far the series appears to be fairly balanced.

It is a very emotional experience for me. I lost a lot of friends I served with, many of whom I watched die. It is gut churning and at some point in the series I expect tears. To me it is important to see if Ken Burns got it right. I'd hate to see something that will be in the public domain for years be slanted either left or right.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    With the disclaimer that I'm not all the way through it, they seem to be making a case that nobody won that war. Everyone lost in some way or another.

A couple of other themes I'm hearing:
    1. Blame doesn't lie in any one lap, there were lots and lots of contributing factors, many of which are not widely known
    2. If there's one thing to be gained by dissecting a difficult period of history, it's to learn from the past and prevent it from ever happening again - which is exactly what was not done at the time
    I was a child when the war ended, so I have no memory of any of it. That said, I have been a student of the "why" of wars, battles, etc., and have found the show to be very interesting. I agree with Edwin's take on it.

As to Vietnam being a destination, I found it surprising that several of the soldiers who were interviewed remarked on the beauty of the place even given their horrific experiences. For those of us who weren't risking our lives there, the beauty is obvious; for those of us who were, I fully understand the revulsion.

I guess I can speak here. I was in Hue for the Tet offensive in 1968. I would encourage anyone who watches TV shows to be careful of how you take it. After all we all see things through our own eyes. I don't care what war it is they are all horrible. They all have some reason. If you see something on TV don't take it as fact unless you fact check it yourself. The congressional record from that era is a good place to look. Tough reading. The only facts about that war I know for sure is what took place within my own little part of it. The other parts I know are what legislation was passed in that era. And lastly my friends that I would never see again.
    Jim

I'm considered a Vietnam veteran, although I never served in country...I was in the navy in August of 1964 when it was declared a police action war.... I was stationed on Guam in the communications station from 1961 until 1963... read many dispatches that depicted the U.S. loses in a time when we were not "at war" and was there in an advisory capacity... supposedly the soldiers in that time frame weren't allowed to carry weapons.... in 1955 when the French pulled out, they advised the U.S. to not go in as there it was a no win situation.... There was tragedy on all sides.

Disclaimer: not intended to be a political statement... just informative.
    I've not watched the program and at this time, no intentions to do so. My step-son who is a real history buff, has mentioned it a few times.